The 13 Percent

SBP candidate drops out of race to romance Duke exchange student

<p>Murphy Liu poses for picture during an interview with Karli Krasnipol at Alpine Bagel. Liu has answered questions posted by other students on facebook.</p>
Buy Photos

Murphy Liu poses for picture during an interview with Karli Krasnipol at Alpine Bagel. Liu has answered questions posted by other students on facebook.

Declared student body presidential candidate Murphy Liu has dropped out of the race to pursue the prospects of young love. 

Liu said he's interested in a student at Duke University, who is an exchange student from Brazil. 

“We matched on Tinder last semester — I think it was in September,” Liu said. 

Liu said he and the Brazil native been talking on Tinder since the first day they matched. From there, they began snapchatting and texting. 

“Then I lost my phone, and I felt so bad because I didn’t have him on Facebook,” Liu said. “I did not get a phone for another 30 days, and he thought I was ignoring him completely.”

They were planning on meeting in the fall semester, but the timing didn’t work out, Liu said.

“I talked to him over winter break because his family came up from Brazil, and they were going to go travel,” Liu said.

Liu said he hoped they would be able to meet in Boone over the break, but it didn’t work out. 

“The first day we met was the first Thursday in January,” Liu said.

Liu hopes to study abroad, which he said would be impossible if he became student body president.

“If I was to study abroad, I would choose the city that he is actually from and study abroad there,” Liu said.

Liu has made other decisions recently related to his feelings for the study abroad student.

“That’s also why I’m studying Portuguese this semester,” Liu said.

Liu said he also wasn’t as prepared for the campaign as the other candidates.

“I would be starting at ground zero and there’s no way I could get a website up, a policy up and a team together in 2 weeks,” Liu said.

Liu posted a status on Facebook announcing his withdrawal and endorsing declared presidential candidate Bradley Opere. 

"I believe Bradley possesses the qualifications this campus needs for reform to create an inclusive and open Carolina for all," the post said.

The four remaining declared candidates for student body president are Andrew Williamson, Wilson Sink, Bradley Opere and John Taylor.