Cori Sue Morris

News

Planning for 25 years

Twenty-five years ago this week the five "founding mothers" of Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina gathered around a kitchen table and discussed the need for access to contraceptives and sexual education in the region. In celebration of that anniversary, the organization hosted a reception Monday. And in its 25 years, the organization, the youngest in the nation, has seen its share of ups and downs.

News

Making UNC mercury-free

Raymond Hackney, interim director of the Department of Environment, Health & Safety, wants to make all UNC laboratories mercury-free. Earlier this semester , the department launched "Mercury-Free at UNC," a program that seeks to reduce on-campus elemental mercury, found primarily in thermometers. Exposure can lead to tremors, emotional changes, insomnia and headaches and, in severe cases, kidney failure, respiratory failure and death.

News

Display creates lively debate

With photos of aborted fetuses and genocide Wednesday in Polk Place, members of Carolina Students for Life said they sought to foster discussion on a controversial subject. "We are hoping to create more lines of dialogue - the problem with the abortion debate is it's so abstract," said senior Ashley Tyndall, the group's president. "Regardless of how you feel about it, you have to acknowledge these pictures are what an abortion is."

News

World War II veterans tell tales from battlefield

About 30 students gathered Tuesday afternoon in the ROTC armory to hear World War II veterans discuss their battle experiences. "I will tell you that it is not often you get to spend the afternoon with heroes," began Lt. Col. Gregory Daddis as he introduced the panel. The afternoon was filled with personal anecdotes and memories as each veteran took his turn detailing his war experiences. "The little stories you don't get from a textbook really brought history alive for me," said junior Allan Carr, a history major.

News

UNC black faculty point to progress

In 1966 Hortense McClinton became the first black professor at UNC. She taught in the School of Social Work for 18 years. Less than 30 years after McClinton arrived, the University had progressed so much that it had the most blacks holding endowed chaired professorships of any American university. In April 1993 UNC had 11 out of the country's total 74 of these professors, who taught a variety of fields ranging from chemistry to philosophy.

News

Professor: Universe has no beginning

University physicists are refuting the Big Bang theory with a new cosmological model stating that the universe has no beginning or end. The cyclical model, proposed by UNC physics professor Paul Frampton and graduate student Lauris Baum, consists of four parts: expansion, turnaround, contraction and bounce. "It all starts all over again," Frampton said. "It has happened an infinite amount of times and will happen an infinite amount of more times."

News

Ruckus expands service nationwide

Just two months after UNC signed on with Ruckus Network Inc., the company announced that its legal music downloading service is available to all students with a valid college e-mail address. After almost a year of negotiations with the company, UNC signed an exclusive contract with Ruckus, and students gained access to the service in mid-November. Although legal on-campus downloading now is available free of charge via Ruckus without a contract, officials said UNC students will benefit from the school's early participation.

News

Outlasting month one

Week four: Have you kept your New Year's resolution? According to statistics from Proactive, a self-coaching Web site, 64 percent of people have kept their resolutions after one month. Indeed, three out of the four students we talked to at the start of the semester are still going strong. "It's kind of a cake walk, though. It's just soda," said David Campbell, a junior who decided to go soft-drink-free to support his brother with the same resolution. Freshman Caroline Mack, who resolved to read the Bible consistently, already has read three books: Matthew, Mark and Luke.

News

UNC Hospitals hires firm for ad campaign

With a partnership still in the works, the staff at MarketSmart plans to address UNC Hospitals' communication needs through innovation and expansion. UNC Hospitals announced Friday that it signed a three-year contract with MarketSmart, a marketing communications firm owned by Think Partnership. Although only in the planning stage, MarketSmart will launch a new advertising campaign for UNC Hospitals. "Our overall general goal is to help UNC meet their mission - help UNC help all the people of North Carolina," said Dennis Wipper, creative director at MarketSmart.

News

Collaborative efforts aid in cancer research

Dr. Carol Otey worked closely for six years with scientists from Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and London toward the treatment and prevention of pancreatic cancer - a condition that's almost always fatal. And she didn't even get to meet them face-to-face until last December. The colleagues, with the exception of the British researchers, gathered in New York City to celebrate the publication of their findings. The five laboratories managed to collaborate through e-mail, FedEx and conference calls to study a gene common in victims of pancreatic cancer.

More articles »