Saturday January 23rd

Powell Latimer Assistant Sports Editor

Wayne Ellington's 16 points led the Tar Heels in scoring, and Danny Green matched that scoring total in his second career start Saturday.
Sports

Tar Heels make '08 debut

An impromptu party broke out in the North Carolina locker room following the Tar Heels' 102-62 exhibition win against UNC-Pembroke on Saturday night — loud music shouts and laughter filling even the next room over. Apparently nobody was happier to see the nation's top-ranked basketball team on the court than the team members themselves.

Read More »
Adam Warren" UNC?s Saturday starter in 2008 pitched in the Fall World Series and gave up six hits in three innings Wednesday.
Sports

Tar Heels try new starters in FWS

CARY — Basketball season is starting up and football season is in full swing but the most successful Tar Heel squad for the past three years also took the field this week. The North Carolina baseball team wrapped up the Fall World Series on Wednesday its preseason intrasquad scrimmage. And while the stakes were somewhat lower — the losing team has to buy pizza for the Christmas party — the competition was still heated with the series coming down to a final 10-inning game Wednesday.

Read More »
Hakeem Nicks junior wideout will have to shoulder an even heavier offensive load this weekend against Virgina. ?He?s been the one really solid consistent week-in and week-out player? coach Butch Davis said. ?You can always count on Hakeem to deliver this kind of performance.?
Sports

All eyes on Hakeem

Hakeem Nicks barely makes it out of the locker room Tuesday before a camera's in his face and he's being directed for a photo shoot. Nicks takes it all in stride — the light the flashes from the camera; he even manages to ask when and where the shots are running without breaking the photographer's rhythm. It's obvious the junior wideout welcomes the spotlight — which is good because it's going to be focused intensely on him for the rest of the season.

Read More »

More articles »

The Daily Tar Heel for December 7, 2020