Powell Latimer Assistant Sports Editor

Articles

Point guard Ty Lawson registered five assists and two steals Saturday" along with two 3-pointers ? his only converted field goals on the day. Lawson also was the only Tar Heel perfect on free throws going 6-for-6.

Open season

As season openers go No. 1 North Carolina's 86-71 victory against Penn got a little awkward. First of all the man in the middle for the Tar Heels was a forward from the Midwest named Tyler.

Wayne Ellington's 16 points led the Tar Heels in scoring, and Danny Green matched that scoring total in his second career start Saturday.

Tar Heels make '08 debut

An impromptu party broke out in the North Carolina locker room following the Tar Heels' 102-62 exhibition win against UNC-Pembroke on Saturday night — loud music shouts and laughter filling even the next room over. Apparently nobody was happier to see the nation's top-ranked basketball team on the court than the team members themselves.

Adam Warren" UNC?s Saturday starter in 2008 pitched in the Fall World Series and gave up six hits in three innings Wednesday.

Tar Heels try new starters in FWS

CARY — Basketball season is starting up and football season is in full swing but the most successful Tar Heel squad for the past three years also took the field this week. The North Carolina baseball team wrapped up the Fall World Series on Wednesday its preseason intrasquad scrimmage. And while the stakes were somewhat lower — the losing team has to buy pizza for the Christmas party — the competition was still heated with the series coming down to a final 10-inning game Wednesday.

Hakeem Nicks drops a fumble late in the third quarter of UNC?s matchup with Virginia on Saturday. The Tar Heels committed three turnovers in the game" bringing them to minus five in their two losses. ?The turnover battle? Cameron Sexton said ?today that?s why we lost.?

Fumbled Away

CHARLOTTESVILLE Va. — Just inches away. With Virginia down one point and needing an extra point to complete an astonishing late-game comeback against No. 18 North Carolina Deunta Williams gave a superhuman leap and got one hand on the ball.

Hakeem Nicks junior wideout will have to shoulder an even heavier offensive load this weekend against Virgina. ?He?s been the one really solid consistent week-in and week-out player? coach Butch Davis said. ?You can always count on Hakeem to deliver this kind of performance.?

All eyes on Hakeem

Hakeem Nicks barely makes it out of the locker room Tuesday before a camera's in his face and he's being directed for a photo shoot. Nicks takes it all in stride — the light the flashes from the camera; he even manages to ask when and where the shots are running without breaking the photographer's rhythm. It's obvious the junior wideout welcomes the spotlight — which is good because it's going to be focused intensely on him for the rest of the season.