Sarah Kaylan Butler

Articles

UNC recruits for diversity on Decision Day

“My goal is to make us the Morehouse College of (predominately white institutions),” he said. “They’re known for producing very high quality graduates, who go into fortune 500 companies ... We’ve had that for some time now, we’ve had a good percentage of our black males go on to do really great things — beyond Michael Jordan or a Harrison Barnes. We have Michael Jordans’ and Harrison Barrnes’ in medicine and in law.”

Q&A with junior Taylor McCain, granddaughter of Greensboro Four participant

In 1960, the Franklin McCain, one of the Greensboro Four, saw an issue with racial segregation and did something about it by hosting a sit-in in an all-white diner. More than half a century later, his granddaughter, UNC junior Taylor McCain, is taking his lead to pursue racial equality by working with Communiversity, a community-building youth program sponsored by the Sonya Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History. 

Media

Patrick White, a senior business major, tests out an alternative form of transportation, a one-person-electrical bicycle called an ELF, in the parking lot of Kenan-Flagler on Monday afternoon.

The Essentials of a College Town Coffee Shop

As students, sometimes we get tired of studying in libraries. We get forced out of our own rooms because it's too difficult to study with our best friend (or our enemy) as a roommate.

Humans of Chapel Hill for Jan. 14, 2016

Daily Tar Heel senior digital staff writer Sarah Kaylan Butler spoke with Dylan Zanikls, a UNC student, in the Ackland Art Museum Alumni Garden for Town Talk’s weekly Humans of Chapel Hill feature. To view the original Humans of New York blog, see here.