UNC student charged with sexual exploitation of children now on house arrest

Corey Gallisdorfer, a UNC freshman who was arrested on May 3 and charged with sexual exploitation of children, was released from the Durham County jail on a $50,000 bail May 13.

A judge ordered Gallisdorfer to remain on house arrest at his home in Lewisville, said his lawyer David Freedman.

One of Gallisdorfer’s parents is required to be at home with him at all times until further notice from a court, Freedman said.

Freedman added that Gallisdorfer, 19, is yet to be indicted and that he does not know how long this will take.

A spokeswoman from the Durham County jail confirmed Gallisdorfer had been released.

Sherri Alspaugh, an assistant federal defender in the Office of the Federal Public Defender for the Eastern District of North Carolina, said there is nothing unusual about the size of Gallisdorfer’s bail.

“The judge needed to weigh his risk of flight and danger to the community,” Alspaugh said.

She also said putting Gallisdorfer on house arrest is typical for a case of this type.

“The judge wants to make sure he is not going to continue to do the things he is alleged to have done,” Alspaugh said.

Gallisdorfer was arrested in Granville Towers after federal agents obtained a search warrant for his room.

According to an affidavit for criminal complaint, Gallisdorfer used an image of a teenage girl he claimed was himself to elicit pornographic images from Atlanta-area boys.

Under a variety of email addresses, including swimmerchick3941@gmail.com and swimrun9111@aim.com, he obtained at least 25 images which he posted on the website imgsrc.ru, according to the affidavit.

His name on the website was boyboyboy11 and he advertised “boys I have to trade,” according to the affidavit.

Gallisdorfer could face between 15 and 30 years in prison if convicted, according to Title 18, United States Code, Section 2251(a).

Freedman said last week that Gallisdorfer’s family was shocked by the arrest.

Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls said last week that the University has not decided whether it will punish Gallisdorfer.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.