UNC offensive coordinator Anderson lands 'dream job' at Arkansas State

Blake Anderson will be the fifth head coach in five years for the Red Wolves.

Blake Anderson

Blake Anderson

North Carolina offensive coordinator Blake Anderson saw the Facebook posts, the emails and the tweets that declared him Arkansas State’s new head coach. He heard Arkansas State Athletic Director Terry Mohajir’s 5-year-old son say a week ago, “That’s your guy.”

But he still hadn’t heard from Mohajir himself until 6:30 a.m. today, while he was getting ready for a 7 a.m. UNC staff meeting. After eight days — eight days without sleep, Anderson said — the 43-year-old got the news he’d been waiting for: his first head coaching job.

“I called my wife and told her we’re going,” Anderson said at his introductory press conference. “And I called my parents, and they picked up the phone, both of them at the exact same time, and tears started flowing. It was a great time.”

Anderson will replace Bryan Harsin, who took the head coaching position at Boise State Dec. 11 after leading the Red Wolves to a 7-5 record, a Sun Belt Conference championship and an appearance in the GoDaddy Bowl against Ball State on Jan. 5.

UNC has not yet announced a replacement for Anderson, who coach Larry Fedora said will not be calling plays against Cincinnati in the Belk Bowl on Dec. 28.

“We hate to lose him, obviously,” Fedora said after Thursday’s practice. “But it’s been a dream and a goal of his to be a Division I football coach, and he has that opportunity. So I’m very excited for him and his family.”

Anderson becomes the fifth coach in five seasons for Arkansas State. Before Harsin, Gus Malzahn went on to coach at Auburn — who will play Florida State in this season’s BCS National Championship Game — and before Malzahn, Hugh Freeze went on to coach at Mississippi.

Anderson signed a five-year contract worth $700,000 annually, and with a $3 million buyout for the first two years, $2 million for the next two and $1 million for the last, Anderson’s tenure might not be as short-lived as his predecessors’.

“I’m not here to leave,” Anderson said. “I want to give these guys, these players that do all the work, I want to give them the best chance to build a program, to have some continuity.

“The buyout doesn’t scare me. I’m not here to get out of the door. I’m not trying to sprint through town.”

Anderson has been UNC’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the past two seasons, coming with Fedora from Southern Miss. Under Anderson’s up-tempo, no-huddle spread offense, UNC finished eighth in country last season in scoring with 40.6 points per game and has averaged 32.2 points per game this season.

Anderson said he’s looking to coach a team at Arkansas State that is fast, physical and fun — similar to Fedora’s “Smart. Fast. Physical” motto. He’s been with Fedora for the last six years, and he said the UNC coach has been supportive of his head coaching ambitions.

“After about two or three years with him, I think he started to realize some opportunities were going to come my way,” Anderson said. “And he’s done a great job of trying to … prepare me for what’s coming.”

As for what’s coming for UNC, quarterback Marquise Williams said tight ends coach Walt Bell called plays at Thursday’s practice, but Fedora said he didn’t yet know who would fill that role at the Belk Bowl. He said UNC would take its time in finding Anderson’s replacement and didn’t rule out promoting from within.

As the Tar Heels practiced, Anderson was being introduced at Arkansas State, flying there after his early morning phone call. For Williams, losing his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach was bittersweet.

“I mean, at first it’s tough,” Williams said. “I got really comfortable with him, and he’s a great guy. He’s a great ball coach, and in the mean time, I’m excited for him. It’s his dream job, something he’s always wanted to do, and he’s excited that he got the job, and I’m excited for him.

“That’s all he talked about was being a head coach, and he finally got a chance with his family.”

With his family joining him at his introduction, Anderson didn’t hide his excitement.

“This is absolutely my dream job,” Anderson said. “It is a dream come true.”

Staff writer Max Miceli contributed reporting.