300 East Main shows "Frozen" to benefit TABLE

Olivia, 6, got her face painted at the 300 East Main development open house Saturday. “My favorite thing about Frozen is Olaf because he’s funny,” Olivia said.

On Saturday afternoon, the Hampton Inn & Suites and other 300 East Main businesses held their first Holiday Open House, drawing more than a hundred residents and visitors with its “ Frozen” theme.

The event benefited TABLE, a nonprofit organization that provides emergency food aid to local children. Attendees were invited to bring canned food donations to the open house, which featured a screening of the Disney movie “Frozen” at the Hampton Inn, a hot chocolate bar provided by Fleet Feet, a karaoke station from Hickory Tavern and a face-painting table contributed by Cameron’s.

There was also a crafting area, a snow machine and an ensemble of carolers. Several “Frozen” characters were on hand for photo ops as well.

Sue Kopkind, a Cary resident, said she found out about the event through her work at WomanCraft Gifts, which is also located in the 300 East Main development.

She came with her granddaughter, who was enjoying the holiday-themed activities.

“We had our pictures taken with Elsa and Anna, and then we watched the movie and now the little one is just very fascinated with the snow coming down — she’s catching it with a cup,” Kopkind said.

Jessica Jones, catering sales manager at the Hampton Inn and an organizer of the event, said it was not hard to choose the event’s theme.

“I love ‘Frozen,’ I love the movie, I love Elsa, so I made the call,” she said. “And I’m thinking it was a good call.”

Jones said the turnout was much larger than she had anticipated, and they had filled four full boxes of canned goods two hours into the event.

Durham resident April McGill said that when she arrived with her goddaughter shortly after the screening began, the seating was already full.

“We did crafts and visited the hot chocolate bar instead,” McGill said.

She said she appreciates community events like the holiday open house.

“I think it’s good for the community just because it brings everybody out together. It’s a chance for us to really see the businesses in the area, and it’s just a great outlet to get kids’ energy out,” McGill said.

Bridget Pemberton-Smith, an owner of Cameron’s, said she enjoys taking advantage of as many opportunities to become involved with the town as possible.

“I mean, yeah, businesses want to make money, but it’s also great to just bring the community together — that’s what it’s really all about,” Pemberton-Smith said.

“And Carrboro especially seems really invested in bringing the community together and also helping its nonprofits a lot.”