Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Opinion: All Greeks should push for programs to prevent rape

In 2014, UNC’s Interfraternity Council amended its constitution to mandate that all of its 22 member organizations require new and executive board members to attend a sexual assault prevention program offered by an approved group, such as One Act or One Act for Greeks.

Both of these programs discuss a list of topics including bystander intervention, healthy relationships, interpersonal violence and rape prevention. One Act for Greeks particularly emphasizes healthy relationships between members of the Greek community and preventing high-risk binge drinking.

All Greek letter organizations, regardless of affiliation, should follow suit.

This is not to say IFC’s amendment is without flaws. While enacted in good faith, the amendment is not retroactive, meaning older members are exempt from attending such a training.

Additionally, this is not an annual requirement for executive members, and “approved groups” are ambiguously defined by the IFC. Thus, a representative of anything from One Act to men’s rights groups could lead a training — with obvious differences and consequences.

But most importantly, this resolution does not apply across all Greek councils.

Despite activists within the Greek community calling for change, neither the Greek Alliance Council nor the National Pan-Hellenic Council require members to attend a training session discussing race and sexuality’s role on sexual assault and healthy relationships.

This lack of a required training within the GAC and NPHC ignores the reality that women of color experience sexual violence on par with white women, yet very rarely are allowed a space to share their stories.

As dangerous as its loopholes can become, the IFC deserves credit for at least recognizing a culture of violence against women among a significant male population. But once again, member organizations within the GAC and NPHC remain on the periphery of our discussions on sexual assault and violence.

The one-in-five statistic from 2007 brought to our attention that sexual assault could no longer be ignored on college campuses. While this study centered on the experience of women attending predominately white institutions, it’s an erasure to believe women of color are somehow exempt from being targets of sexual violence on the college campus.

Great strides have been made by all four Greek councils to eradicate sexual assault from our campus. But while the GAC and the NPHC have been included in some discussion, they are excluded from or have refused to speak on important political topics.

In light of high-profile instances of violence inflicted upon black women, the public and college campus can no longer ignore this reality without meeting major social, political and economic repercussions. Our apathy and silence are no longer acceptable.

It is long past the time for these councils to stand up and hold themselves accountable for violence happening within their communities.

There is no time to appear complacent or apathetic, and the best people to lead and create these programs are people from these groups. The pressure is on, and the time to act is today.