Isaiah Hicks' first 2016 start passes without fanfare

Isaiah Hicks sat in the North Carolina locker room. The lanky forward already knew he would be making his first start of the season Saturday against Boston College when Brice Johnson approached him — not to offer words of congratulation or inspiration, but to deal with business. 

Which one of the UNC big men would guard 7-foot Boston College center Dennis Clifford? 

Kennedy Meeks had been late to shootaround — resulting in the junior forward being removed from the starting lineup by Coach Roy Williams — and Joel James was returning from an injured Achilles. So the task fell to Hicks. 

In 14 minutes of action, HIcks ultimately helped hold Clifford to four points and four rebounds, while also scoring eight points and grabbing three rebounds in the Tar Heels' 89-62 win over the Eagles on Saturday. 

“It just wasn’t his day,” Johnson said. “As a basketball player, you hope every day is your day, but somedays it’s just not your day.”

By many indications, it should have been Hicks’ day. It was the first start of the season for a player who’s been superb as a sixth man for the No. 2 Tar Heels. 

Hicks averages 9.9 points per game and is ranked by KenPom.com as one of the most efficient offensive players in the nation this season. And during his sophomore year, in his second collegiate start, he set a career high against Boston College by scoring 21 points. 

“Isaiah can have success against a lot of teams, he just was on a roll last year,” said sophomore wing Theo Pinson. “I’ll remember that to this day, he was just an animal.” 

But Hicks didn’t see it as his day. He approached Saturday like any other day he suits up to play. There was no fanfare, or thoughts of being a member of the starting five to sit on the bench in their jersey as the lights dimmed and the crowd roared upon the announcement of their name over the Smith Center loudspeaker. There was just the business of helping the team win. 

“I had a few moments I started last year, so those emotions have already been through,” Hicks said. “Now it’s about trying to go out there and play my best.”

Hicks has always been willing to sacrifice for the team. In his first season, he played out of position at small forward because the team needed him to. The past two seasons, including this one, he’s come off the bench, determined to go as hard as possible until Williams sits him down. 

For a recruit as highly-touted as Hicks — 247Sports ranked him as the No. 16 player in the Class of 2013 — it could be easy to think about starting for good. It could even be easy to look ahead to next year’s edition of the Tar Heels, when Johnson and James move on and Hicks will be counted on to possibly start every game. 

But Pinson, another highly-ranked recruit, said he doesn't talk to Hicks about the future — they talk about the present. 

“What we have talked about is, you don’t really have the chance to be a part of teams this good,” Pinson said. “We don’t want the opportunity to slip through our hands.”

That opportunity — a national championship and a place forever in the rafters of the Smith Center — is possibly within reach for a UNC team considered one of the best in the nation. That’s the day Hicks dreams about, the day he’ll consider his day. 

Until then, it’s business as usual.

@loganulrich