Sean May remembers ties to Indiana ahead of UNC's Sweet 16 game against the Hoosiers

Sean May hands the ball back to Theo Pinson (1).

PHILADELPHIA — Sean May still remembers walking the halls of Bloomington North High School in Bloomington, Ind., the day he committed to North Carolina.

He recalls the story in the local newspaper about his decision to choose UNC over hometown favorite Indiana. He can still image the Tar Heel sweatshirt he wore to school.

But most of all, he remembers how tough his decision was on his teachers and fellow students, who were almost all Hoosier fans.

“I remember at lunchtime I was just like, ‘I just want to go home,’” May said. “The aura was bad, and the energy in the building was just bad. But I felt like I made the right decision at the right time.

“And looking back on it, I can honestly say I did.”

As a junior at UNC, May was the Most Outstanding Player on the 2005 national championship team. A first-round pick in the 2005 NBA Draft, he played professionally before becoming North Carolina’s director of player personnel this season.

Now, as the top-seeded Tar Heels prepare to face fifth-seeded Indiana in the Sweet 16 on Friday, the meeting with the school he once turned down has stirred old memories.

But this isn’t the first time May has faced the Hoosiers. On Dec. 1, 2004, UNC defeated Indiana 70-63 in their ACC/Big Ten Challenge contest at Assembly Hall. May, then a junior, scored eight points and hauled in four rebounds.

While his return to Bloomington as a player might have felt odd, May said Friday’s game will be different because of his new role.

“I grew up going to practice at Indiana, going to all of the camps … And having the opportunity to play them my junior year was a little bit different,” he said. “As a coach on this side, you just try to give the information to the kids as best as what you can see as to tendencies that they do.

“It would mean a lot to win this game just from an individual standpoint so I can rub it in my dad’s face.”

May’s father, Scott, played at Indiana from 1973-76. He was the first player in school history to be named the National Player of the Year when he helped lead the Hoosiers to a 32-0 record and a national title in 1976.

Leading up to Friday’s game, the father and son have talked each day about the matchup between their alma maters.

“As soon as he saw the bracket, he was like, ‘Aw, man, we may face you guys,’” said Sean of his father. “I was like, ‘Well, you’ve got to beat a couple of other teams. You’ve got to get past Kentucky and Chattanooga. You never know what could happen.’ But we go back and forth.

“My dad and I have a great relationship, especially when it comes to sports and our programs.”

It was Sean’s relationship with UNC and Coach Roy Williams that brought him back to Chapel Hill this season.

Having spent past summers playing pickup games with current and former players, Sean accepted an offer from Williams to join the North Carolina staff and develop his coaching skills.

The move has paid off so far. Not only has Sean learned more about coaching, but his experience in Williams’ system and in the professional ranks has also allowed him to serve as a good source for players.

“For me, he’s my role model,” said junior forward Kennedy Meeks. “He’s one of my favorite players, and there’s no better role model to have than that guy, because he’s been through some of the same things I’ve been through as far as going through injuries and having those ups and downs.

“I talk to him a lot about overcoming those things.”

On Friday, the Tar Heels hope to overcome the Hoosiers and extend their season by at least one more game.

And while Scott has informed Sean about what this year’s Indiana squad excels at and what UNC should be careful of, he hasn’t chosen sides like Sean was forced to do almost 15 years ago.

“He hasn’t said that he is (rooting for us) …” Sean said. “I know Indiana is still true and dear to his heart and he wants the program to do well.

“But maybe just not as well (Friday) against us.”

@patjames24