Inter-Faith Council moves forward after executive director resigns

Inter-Faith Council opening house ceremony (Left, Michael Reinke, IFC Executive Director; Right, Robert Seymour, IFC Honorary Life Board Member)

Michael Reinke, former executive director of the Inter-Faith Council, recently resigned due to a family member's health issues. 

His father's recent heart surgery prompted him to formally resign and relocate to the West Coast to better care for his family, said John Dorward, Reinke's predecessor.

The IFC accepted his resignation, which took effect last Monday, Aug. 22.

Dorward and interim Executive Director Kristin Lavergne are working alongside Board President Keith Taylor, the vice president and the executive council to fill the position. 

Dorward said he retired when Reinke took the executive director position last August and has come back to work full time. He will be co-directing with Lavergne until a new executive director is hired.

"We lost the head of our agency, but it doesn't mean that we are planning on losing any ground. Michael left us in a good position," Dorward said. "Between the two of us, and in conjunction with several members of the executive committee, we feel that we can cover the basics and make sure that everything continues to move forward as it's supposed to."

Dorward said the majority of the projects Reinke was working on have been discussed with the board before his resignation.

"Our FoodFirst project is moving forward as it was supposed to and we're just finishing up the summer feeding program," he said. "I don't foresee that there will be changes to what the agency does because of this change." 

Lavergne was the director of operations before she became the interim executive director. She is currently working in Reinke's place to ease the transition to a new executive director. 

"We are working as a team; there's several of us pulling together and taking leadership of the agency," she said. "We look forward to people getting back into their routines, working together and coming to congregations."

Taylor said they have spent the last week ensuring that the IFC is functioning internally the way they need to be, so they haven't sat down to discuss the upcoming hiring process.

"We're going to be looking for somebody who can get a quick grasp on the operations of the different projects that we do, manage people well and hopefully someone who is good at fundraising as well," she said.

@lmh098