Theo Pinson out indefinitely after breaking bone in right foot

UNC forward Theo Pinson (1) pulls up for a shot over guard Nate Britt (0) during practice on UNC Media Day on October 11th. Pinson has since fractured his foot and is out indefinitely. 

Theo Pinson, a junior wing on the North Carolina men's basketball team, is out indefinitely after breaking a bone in his right foot, the team announced Friday. 

Pinson broke the bone in practice earlier this week, and there is no timetable for his return. He suffered the same injury in his left foot in high school, an injury he re-aggravated during his first season in Chapel Hill. 

The 6-foot-6, 211-pound junior from Greensboro played in all 40 games for the Tar Heels last season, averaging 4.5 points per game and leading the team in assists per minute. He was UNC's first non-starter to record 100 assists in a season since 2008. 

"I'm so disappointed for Theo ..." Coach Roy Williams said in a statement. "Theo's our energy guy, he defends, he's our best passer, a threat on the offensive boards, he can play four different positions, and he gives out team personality, and I mean that in a good way. Hopefully we can get him back before the end of the season."

Pinson was a part of North Carolina's No. 3 recruiting class in 2014 alongside current juniors Joel Berry and Justin Jackson. Pinson was projected to start alongside both for the Tar Heels in 2016-17.

@jbo_vernon