The 25 Days of Christmas can suck it

Thanksgiving break is here, and that means everyone is in an especially festive mood. 

After a grueling four months of endless notes, exams and hangovers, it’s about time for some much needed relaxation. 

Nothing sounds better than snuggling up on the couch to watch a movie after a long day full of fun, family and, of course, lots and lots of food.

At my house, we celebrate the official start of the holiday season after awakening from our post-Thanksgiving feast food coma with the Annual Goins “Home Alone” Viewing Party. 

It’s a pretty difficult ticket to get — very prestigious, invite only.

So, now that you’re cuddled up on the couch, how can you and your family decide which holiday movie to watch? 

There are so many amazing choices, why stop at one movie on Thanksgiving night?

Forget Freeform's 25 Days of Christmas, that’s why I’m here. 

Not only am I going to tell you what movies to watch, I’ll tell you which order you should watch them in leading up to the big day. 

That’s right, fasten your seat belts.

Thanksgiving night: “Home Alone”
What better way to kick off the marathon than with the best holiday movie of all time? It’s a cinematic masterpiece. It has everything you could possibly ask for in a film — a plot filled with twists and turns, scenes that make you laugh until you cry, scenes that make you cry and hug your parents, unreal digital effects. It really has it all.

via GIPHY

1st day of December: “It’s a Wonderful Life”

It’s a classic. I mean, it’s no “Home Alone,” but still. Now that we’re in the month of December, it’s time to get serious. This movie gets down to business and hits you right in the feels. After watching this, everybody needs to pull a George Bailey and chickity-check themselves before they wreck themselves. 

Post-LDOC pick me up: “Elf”

Yet another classic. Whether you love Will Ferrell or you hate him, everyone makes an exception for “Elf.” You can’t make it through the holiday season without it. As the most quotable movie on the list, make sure you watch it early on so all of Buddy’s catchphrases are fresh in your mind for every holiday conversation. 

A finals break in mid-December: "How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

Even though it’s a little childish, and the special effects may be a little out-of-date, it’s still a holiday necessity. During the stress of finals, take a break from studying to relate to the Grinch on a spiritual level, as you both suffer from heads that aren’t screwed on right and hearts two sizes too small. But don’t worry, your heart will grow three sizes too once you make it home after your last exam. 

via GIPHY

After you get home: “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York”

Now that you’re home safe and sound and surrounded by family, have a movie night and be thankful you’re not poor Kevin McCallister stranded in New York. Even though it’s literally the exact same movie as the first one, it’s just as funny, if not funnier. RIP Harry and Marv round two. 

via GIPHY

December 22-ish: “Four Christmases”

By now, you’ve been to at least three different family gatherings and your holiday stamina is beginning to wear down. No matter how bad you think you’ve got it, just watch Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon suffer and you’ll count your lucky stars. This should give you the strength to power through the last few days. 

via GIPHY

Christmas Eve: “The Polar Express”

Saving this movie for Christmas Eve is one of the hardest challenges of the year. Let’s be real, this movie gets harder and harder to watch every year. Straight in the feels. Plus, Josh Groban’s song on the soundtrack is my go-to Christmas banger. Don’t worry, I can still hear the bell. 

Other classics to watch:

• “Love Actually”
  • “A Christmas Story”
  • “The Night Before”
  • “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”
  • “The Santa Clause”
  • “Christmas with the Kranks” 

@zach_goins

swerve@dailytarheel.com