Joel Berry withdraws from NBA Draft, will return to UNC for senior year

North Carolina guard Joel Berry (2) goes up for a shot in No. 5 UNC’s 90-83 win over No. 17 Duke on March 4th in the Smith Center. Berry finished with a team-high 28 points and five made 3-pointers.

Joel Berry has announced that he is withdrawing from the NBA Draft and will return to North Carolina for his senior year.

“I know I can continue to improve my game and be better prepared for the NBA after another year playing against the best college competition in the country," Berry said. "There’s no reason to rush leaving school. I love being a Tar Heel and love playing for Carolina and (head) coach (Roy) Williams."

“My family and I have enjoyed every part of playing at Carolina. I am proud of what we have accomplished in my first three seasons as a Tar Heel and am excited about our team next year. The chance to continue to improve in all areas of the game and the opportunity to complete my education and earn my degree.”

Berry  — who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after the Tar Heels' national title win — announced that he would enter the draft on Monday along with teammates Theo Pinson and Tony Bradley. Berry's return is huge news for UNC, as the Tar Heels are losing former starters Justin Jackson, Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks. Berry is poised to be the leader of the team next year.

@rblakerich_