Tar Heels in the Pros: Johnson joins Bullock in Detroit in trade deal

brice johnson stands in sadness.jpg
Former UNC men's basketball player Brice Johnson watches from behind the UNC bench.

The last time basketball players Brice Johnson and Reggie Bullock were on the same team, North Carolina made it to the round of 32 in 2013. Since then, the former Tar Heels have seen their careers evolve in unexpected ways.

Bullock is in his fifth season in the NBA and has grown to be a consistent contributor for the Detroit Pistons. Johnson, of course, has struggled to enter the rotation during his time in the pros due to a variety of factors, including recurring injuries and a roster with a deep front court. 

Having played only 12 games in his first two NBA seasons with the Los Angles Clippers, Johnson was involved in a massive trade on Monday night that sent him, Blake Griffin and Willie Reed to the Pistons in exchange for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic and a collection of draft picks.

In his limited minutes, Johnson averaged an unremarkable 1.7 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.3 blocks per game in his first two seasons as a pro. While the beginning of Johnson’s professional career has been off to a rough start since being picked in the first round of the 2016 NBA Draft, there is still hope for the former All-American.

Heading to a situation where the majority of minutes in the front court will be logged by Griffin and Andre Drummond, Johnson will still have the opportunity to be a quality reserve for a potential playoff team, only having to compete with the likes of Anthony Tolliver and Eric Moreland for backup playing time.

Reggie Bullock (35) defends Ben McLemore (23).

Conversely, Bullock is putting together the highlight season of his career so far. He is averaging career highs in points, assists, steals and minutes this season. Bullock has started 24 of 34 games for the Pistons and he has taken full advantage of this extended playing time.

He's had to recover from several nagging injuries during the first two months of the season, but he has averaged 11.6 points per game since returning on Dec. 10. In the past three games alone (one against Oklahoma City and two against Cleveland), Bullock has scored 16 points, 14 points and 22 points respectively, showcasing an instinctive ability to put the ball in the basket. Bullock also has the third highest 3-point percentage in the NBA at 45.1 percent. 

Playing in his fifth season with his third team in the NBA, Bullock has had to endure a lot of turmoil over the past couple of years due to hampering injuries as well as the tragic death of his sister in 2014. 

Over time — from his inconsistent play to minimal opportunities on the court — Bullock has had to adopt values of perseverance, and it's paying off now. Johnson, who is going through similar challenges on the court, could learn from his former college and current professional teammate.

Some quick updates on other Tar Heels around the league — and one who's playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

• Wayne Ellington just broke his own personal record by draining his 150th three-pointer on the season (eclipsing his previous mark of 149 three-pointers from last season) against Charlotte with four seconds left in the game on Saturday night. Before his game against Cleveland, the guard was shooting 40.5 percent from behind the arc. His efficiency from deep has earned him an invitation to participate in the 2018 NBA 3-point contest during NBA All-Star Weekend next month.

• Vince Carter scored 21 points on 7-12 shooting against the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday night, just two days after Carter celebrated his 41st birthday. Through this performance, Carter is the oldest player since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to score at least 20 points in a game.
  • Transferring over to the gridiron, Mack Hollins — the last former UNC player left in the NFL Playoffs — will be partaking in arguably the biggest sporting event in the world this weekend when the Philadelphia Eagles play in Super Bowl LII. Over the course of his rookie season, Hollins has caught 16 passes for 226 yards and one touchdown, while also contributing on special teams throughout the season.

@keberly1996

@DTHSports | @sportsdailytarheel.com