DTH at a Glance

There's a reason we have a separate sports newsletter

Saturday night, I was at a football game reading a book. 

My mom made fun of me for it, as moms do, and I had to sacrifice a nearby child to the giant camel mascot coming at me in the bleachers so it wouldn't put its grubby hooves on my reading material. 

No costumed man can make me pay attention to sports, no matter how spirited he is.

Anyway, that tiny ginger angel and his massive foam finger saved me so that I could read this really, really good book. 

My friend Ryan, who is the assistant arts and entertainment editor, wrote it — a whole memoir. I can't even write a five-page paper without moaning for a week and a half.

Ryan very bluntly talks about how his college experience is not what he expected. He also wrote a column about it, and you should check it out. 

QUICK HITS

• Since 2000, clinical trials have registered in a database so officials can keep track of them and prevent researchers from hiding them.
  • Embody Carolina sponsored Southern Smash to raise awareness for eating disorders by smashing scales. It's as cool and inspirational as it sounds.
  • 9-year-old Kaelyn “KK” Krawczyk goes everywhere with her service dog, JJ. Even surgery. Click for cute pictures of a dog and a little kid.

IN STUDENT LIFE

A UNC junior is on a mission to get a DJ named Porter Robinson to perform at UNC's homecoming. Last time I checked, the homecoming concert was canceled, but you know youths — always finding ways to get their loud music near my lawn.

IN HIGHER ED NEWS

UNC-system schools are still feeling the heat from the cap and freeze policy that the Board of Governors passed a year ago. It ices out need-based financial aid by limiting the amount of tuition revenue universities can direct toward that help. I can't make any more temperature puns in this newsletter or a 2008-era Katy Perry will appear in an American flag leotard and steal my backup dancers.

IN SPORTS

True freshman Ty'Son Williams has carved out an early role for himself as a running back for UNC. Running backs coach Larry Porter said Williams is the type of guy who if an assignment is due Friday, he’ll finish it Tuesday. Sounds like a true freshman for sure.

IN THE BLOGS

What do sickness, Snapchat and squirrels have in common? They're 3 of the 7 trends Tiana Attride noticed on campus this month, along with one increasingly deceptive pickup line. (Spoiler: It's "Netflix and chill" — or in my world, Lynda tutorials and study.)