DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Cookie Killer

UNC's dining halls have truly seen me through every point of my life on campus. From eating at Top of Lenoir alone as a first-year to going on dates at Chick-fil-A to eating omelettes at 11 p.m. from late night at Rams (never Lenoir — the omelettes there are inferior and take too long), I've used my meal plan to laugh, cry and stream a full season of 30 Rock from the comfort of those booths near the pizza bar. 

Just as the dining halls have seen me grow, I've watched them change, too. And while the new burrito bar owns my entire ass, I hope that they never change the cookies at the exits. Even if they do, at least now I have a recipe to remember them by.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• Ever complained about how schools don't teach students practical skills like how to fill out their taxes? Check out MEJO 390. 
  • Pit preachers, tour guides and dance marathon recruiters might have some competition for real estate in the future. The Pit Talk series aims to showcase UNC student diversity through a series of social media initiatives and videos taken in the mid-campus staple.
  • The University is attempting to bring safety to study abroad with the Global Travel Registry. The registry will contact students in dangerous areas, such as those studying in Paris during the terror attacks in November.

IN CHALK TALK

A recent ban on sidewalk chalking at Appalachian State University has sparked a free speech debate across the state. Some believe that the change in policy limits student expression, while others have cited racially and politically charged messages that have appeared on campus sidewalks. 

IN THE KANIA CASE

Former UNC student Chandler Kania's trial began Wednesday. The 21-year-old has pleaded guilty to all charges except for three counts of second-degree murder and one count of reckless driving for his 2015 car crash. His lawyers are arguing that Kania was not acting out of malice, but as a result of college drinking culture. 

IN LOPEZ'S LEGACY

Andy Lopez came to North Carolina with a history to continue. The redshirt sophomore midfielder was preceded at UNC by his brother Mikey and joined by his childhood friends the Hume brothers. But between the support of his friends and the sacrifices of his family, Lopez is determined to make an impact on the field that honors that legacy.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

There are two more Music on the Porch concerts on Thursdays this fall. Come out and join the Center for the Study of the American South for its series all about celebrating (the fun) aspects of Southern culture.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Meet Shane Phillips, a graduate student in the UNC School of Social Work. He's been in sustained recovery since he was 18, and his story is part of the Carolina Recovery Program's awareness month going on for all members of the UNC community.