DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: We arguably survived Halloween

Hopefully you remember, but in case you forgot: Halloween was last night. Parties were had, merriment was made and the only thing scarier than the costumes on Franklin Street was the fact that I have an 8 a.m. on Tuesdays. Today, we’re bringing you the best ways we know how to recover and get past Oct. 31, but as for me, I’m going to continue to eat dollar-bin candy and make myself sick until I raise my glass on New Year’s Eve.

To celebrate the end of my favorite season, allow me to share with you the best (or arguably worst) Halloween jokes my RA posted in my dorm. Keep them in your pocket for next year.

-What kind of protozoan likes Halloween? An ameo-boo

-Where do baby ghosts go during the day? Day-scare centers.

-What do skeletons say before they start dining? Bone-appetit.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Are you sick of all the construction on Rosemary? Yeah, us too. I'm just trying to keep in mind that the constant traffic and noise it’s causing is theoretically for the public good.
  • The semester may be coming to a close, but the Cat’s Cradle-goodness is just getting started. Here’s the lineup for the month of November.
  • We know y’all might need these: the best Halloween recovery tips we know. Stay strong, friends.
  • Speaking of which, we sent three of our writers out into Chapel Hill on a spooky edition of "Drunk, Sober and High" for Halloween. DTH staffers: They’re just like you.

IN FRIENDS FOR CLINTON

This week promoting early voting in Chapel Hill: Tyler Oakley, President Obama and now Lena Dunham. Dunham, joined by several friends including the indelible Janet Mock, marched with thousands of students on Monday to campaign for Hillary Clinton, who she says is the best choice for president because she acknowledges rights for everyone and has shown the most tenacity of all the candidates.

IN STANDING FOR SURVIVORS

A new committee aims to help survivors and allies of sexual assault unite to communicate with UNC’s administration. After students demanded time and time again for the University to take action, the new committee, headed by two UNC seniors together with the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office, will focus on making policy reforms and starting a dialogue about sexual assault on campus. Among other goals, the team hopes to change the way sexual assault is discussed at first-year orientation and to make online modules about sexual assault more influential for students.

IN SOMETHING IN THE WATER

Researchers at Duke University found one of the chemicals found in coal-contaminated wells can be found in water unrelated to coal ash spills. Aka, North Carolinians might be drinking water that has the potential to cause major health concerns. The chemicals were suspected to be coming from the ash from Duke Energy’s nearby power plants, but studies done in sites in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia have shown otherwise.

IN BEING INDY-NIAL

Indy Week is under fire from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro community after releasing a list of election endorsements that did not include Orange County’s Affordable Housing Bond. Community leaders and members were disappointed with Indy Week after the magazine claimed Orange County didn't have a plan for where funds would be allocated. Indy Week has yet to respond to requests for comment.