DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Back in my day...

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday!

Like many students at UNC, I can proudly state that my father is an alumni of this same university. 

However, my dad does not fit the mold of the blue-sweater-vest dad that comes to football games. He says he never went to them when he was here, so why would he go now? And honestly, the way our seasons have been going, I don't really blame him.

What classic thing my dad does love to do is point out everything that is different on our campus since he went here and call himself old by saying that he remembers when the trees in the Pit were planted. By the way, apparently the Pit also used to be an elite frisbee-throwing hangout prior to the trees. The 1970s were wild. 

He always says that Franklin street has changed the most, and that the only restaurants left from his days are Spanky's and Carolina Coffee Shop. Sorry, Dad, but that list got shorter. Here is the lowdown on the restaurant that replaced Spanky's and other Chapel Hill business. 

The Rundown

• The Tar Heels are down, but they aren't out. An early-game grand slam, cold bats and an eight-run eighth inning led the UNC baseball team to a 12-2 loss to Mississippi State. Now they face OSU. Again. 
  • Want to see Michelle Obama's portrait but can't afford to go to D.C.? The Ackland has the next best thing. The former FLOTUS's portraitist currently has work hanging in their new exhibit. 
  • $10 Million. Cent increases. Higher salaries. Want to know what all of these terms have to do with the Chapel Hill town budget? We went to the meeting for you. 

COPS

As lovely as the town of Chapel Hill is, sometimes there is crime. We scoured the police reports for you so that you can read about what's being reported in your town

Things to Do

June 20 - National Ice Cream Soda Day - It has been approximately 1000 degrees up here lately, so cool off with a Ben & Jerry's/Rocket Fizz Raleigh ice cream soda. (Ben & Jerry's)

June 20 - Paint & Sip - If Bob Ross went for a night on the town, it would look like this. Enjoy half-priced wine and step-by-step paint instruction to kick off the later half of your week. (Breakaway Cafe)

June 20 - Intro to Tapestry - Looking to ~weave~ some artistry into your life? Tired of boredom ~looming~ over you? Check out this class that probably has less puns, but you get to walk away with homemade decorations. (The King's Daughters Inn)

"Out with the old, in with the new. Goodbye clouds of gray. Hello skies of blue."

Sharpay Evans