Town Talk

Commissioners concerned over possible fair costs

A self-sustaining Orange County fair remains on the table for future discussion — but the total cost, required staff and venue location are causing concern.

The County Fair Working Group presented their recommendations at the Board of County Commissioners’ work session on Tuesday.

David Stancil, a member of the working group and the environment, agriculture, parks and recreation director, recommended a two- or three-day event, held at county-owned Blackwood Farm Park, potentially in April 2015.

Stancil said the cost of the fair could range from $60,000 to $185,000. He also said the Chapel Hill-Orange County Visitor’s Bureau had offered financial assistance.

Commissioner Mark Dorosin, also a member of the working group, said he thought the fair would be worth the costs.

“I don’t agree that this is an event that the county shouldn’t put any money into,” he said. “I think it is something of import and value to the community.”

But Commissioner Earl McKee said based off of his experience, he doesn’t think the numbers make sense.

“We don’t have a framework for how much money it’s going to be with infrastructure, with building roads,” McKee said.

Commissioners also noted the fair might conflict with Hillsborough’s Hogg Day and other spring events.

They were also concerned the cost of infrastructure at Blackwood was unclear and that a final budget might require hiring an event planner and be larger than anticipated.

“I don’t think it’s realistic that this will be ready in 18 months,” said Chairman Barry Jacobs.

The board encouraged the working group to come back with a more defined budget and plan so a decision on the fair’s viability could be made.

Notable:

Prior to the work session Tuesday, the working group held a public interest session on Oct. 30 and sent out a online survey to gather ideas.

According to the survey, 51.5 percent of people would prefer the fair to be held in the fall. 55.4 percent of people would like a three-day long fair as opposed to the two days suggested by the working group.

Quotable:

“If the message is, ‘We (the county) don’t want to spend one dollar on the county fair,’ then the message is, ‘We’re probably not going to have a county fair,’” Commissioner Mark Dorosin said.