Town Talk

Which coffee houses in Chapel Hill have the best work environments

Now that the semester is in full swing, you’re probably spending time trapped inside the concrete walls of the library, eyes glued to a textbook under fluorescent lighting, wishing you could be anywhere but the uncomfortable seat you’ve been sitting in for hours.

Give yourself a treat and journey out to one of Chapel Hill or Carrboro’s great coffee houses. It’s kind of like a vacation, except it only lasts for a few hours and your stress is still front and center in your head.

If you let the atmosphere (and the caffeine) give you power to finish that 10-page paper you’ve put off for the past week, it’s extremely refreshing. Here are a few coffee shops I use as my campus getaways:

Looking Glass Cafe

Jafar would be pleased to find this diamond in the rough. It has plenty of table space and room to sit, comfy thrifted-looking furniture and one of the best chai tea lattes I’ve ever had.

Unlike some of the other popular coffee shops around, I’ve never had an issue finding a place to work here, and the staff is super friendly. Also they have board games as a little treat for when you finish what you’re doing.

Caffe Driade

Going here is like traveling to a little nature preserve complete with great pastries and awesome tea. Their store is right off of East Franklin Street down into the trees and other plants.

Caffe Driade is extremely quiet and relaxing since you’re surrounded by the sounds of nature. Just be careful during the summer months or on a hot day because you might spend less of your time working and more time feeling like Nicholas Cage.

Open Eye Cafe

As one of Carrboro's staples, this place has a ton of space to work, plenty of parking and a great location near Main Street. All of these make it a popular place, which is tough because it makes it difficult to find a place to sit.

You may want to get there earlier in the day to make sure you can get a table, or you may start feeling like Rebecca Black.

The Daily Grind

Unfortunately, some days you just don’t have enough time to leave campus for a coffee vacation, but luckily The Daily Grind can turn your study session into a staycation. 

If you can grab a seat, working inside at the Bull’s Head Bookshop is a great substitute for the coffee shop experience, and their tables outside by the Pit are great work spots as well. You could even take your coffee to your favorite spot on campus (or maybe your #UNCCryZone).