Eliza Kern Staff Writer

News

Jones' leadership gets creative

There's no doubt that Student Body President Jasmin Jones has spunk. ""Her smile is just infectious"" said Student Congress Speaker Joe Levin-Manning. All it takes is a smile from her and you realize you're doing this because it's something that you love.""

News

Grad school has less for _¶ nancial aid

The Graduate School overspent $3.5 million this year a mistake that will force the school to offer less student financial aid for the next five years. The discrepancy occurred when the Graduate School underestimated the number of students who would apply for tuition remissions a type of financial aid awarded to out-of-state students that reduces their tuition to in-state levels.

News

UNC graduate school applications on the rise

For senior journalism major Deborah Neffa getting a graduate degree has always been a personal goal. But with the country in a recession" Neffa's move to grad school is coming at a time when finding a job is proving difficult for many seniors entering the market. ""I'm hoping that at least a big part of the panic will have subsided by the time I graduate" she said. Ideally" there will be more opportunities for jobs and more entry-level jobs available."" Neffa isn't alone in her hope that graduate school will help her weather the economic storm.

News

Continuous enrollment put on hold

Graduate School officials have announced that they will delay implementing the proposed continuous enrollment policy in response to negative feedback. Graduate School Dean Steve Matson said he made the decision last week after consulting with Provost Bernadette Gray-Little.

News

New policy frustrates grads

Graduate students are skeptical of a proposed revision to enrollment procedures publicized last week. UNC administrators have proposed a plan that would require graduate students to remain enrolled in the University and pay tuition while researching off campus.

resbox1
News

Face-off

Juniors Thomas Edwards and Jasmin Jones nabbed the top two spots in the student body president election Tuesday and will now compete in a runoff election Feb. 17. Edwards won 41 percent of the vote and Jones earned 21 percent in the election with the highest voter turnout in University history.

frontgraphic
News

Setting the course for the environment

It's not up to the student body president to ensure that the dining halls have organic food. Nor is it his or her job to create renewable energy projects on campus. When it comes to environmental issues the president serves not as a policy setter but as a key promoter of ongoing initiatives.

News

Renewable energy fee to be voted on

The renewable energy student fee is up for renewal. Students will determine whether to renew a $4 student fee used to fund environmental projects on campus — if Student Congress votes next week to place the referendum on the Feb. 10 ballot.

News

Few use mental health help

An innovative research study begun in October by the University's School of Social Work aims to give students with mental illness greater control over their well-being. But the program is still having a hard time getting students to sign up.

More articles »