Maria Elena Vizcaino

Email Maria Elena Vizcaino

Articles

(From left) senior vocal performance major Chris Burrus, junior political science and public policy Jabril Rice, and first-year vocal performance major Cole Covington rehearse their solos in preparation for the Clef Hangers' Fall concert.

A cappella involvement entails 'the time commitment of a job' and love of the game

The a capella life is one filled with surprises, practice, legacy and friends. Though there are times when its members are swamped with six hours of practice, three performances, papers and exams all at once, it's still worth it. "I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had no idea about a cappella groups, the history, nothing,” said UNC junior Patrick Dow, president of the Clef Hangers

Jacquelyn Gist is a candidate for the Carrboro Board of Aldermen. Photo courtesy of the town of Carrboro.

Few faces change on Carrboro Board of Aldermen

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen added one new face Tuesday night.  Incumbents Jacquelyn Gist, Randee Haven-O’Donnell and Sammy Slade were all re-elected, alongside newcomer Barbara Foushee. This is the first time Foushee, whose sister Valerie is an N.C. senator, has run for office. She won around 25.33 percent of the vote, according to unofficial results from Orange County precincts.

Chapel Hill Police officers are on the scene of a death at Deming Rd.

UPDATED: Mother and son found dead in home on Deming Road

When Dirk Cotton and his family moved to their home on Deming Road in 2005, one of Margaret Gibson’s sons knocked on their door with an apple pie at hand.  “I thought it was a really sweet thing to do. I hadn’t seen anyone do that in decades," he said. "The incident was surprisingly depressing."  Thursday Oct. 12, the Cottons found out their neighbors, Margaret Gibson, 86, and her son, Eric Gibson, 53, had died in their Chapel Hill home in 442 Deming Road.

Media

Julia Alvarez, the Frank B. Hanes Writer-In-Residence, gave a reading on Feb. 27 in Genome Science Building.