Carson seeks student input

Student Body President Eve Carson has created a new student committee to help her represent the student body’s desired traits in a new chancellor.

Applications are available today and are due Thursday at midnight. Members for the student advisory for the chancellor search committee should be announced by the end of fall break.

“I’m inviting at-large applications for a student board of student representatives,” Carson said.

The committee’s chairman, Matt Hendren, stressed the fast pace of forming the rest of the committee.

“The hard part about the committee is that we’re going to have to work really quickly,” he said.

Although plans are not formalized, Carson said she expects to take 10 at-large representatives. Mike Tarrant, student body vice president, also will serve in an advisory capacity, though he won’t be counted as one of the 10 members.

Hendren said students only need to be aware and thoughtful to apply, and do not need to be established campus leaders.

“It’s really important that we reach beyond the people who are generally really active . because being a student is more than just being active in those groups,” Hendren said.

The committee will draft a values statement reflecting the role of the students on campus and what “the Carolina way” means, Carson said.

They will work on the statement throughout the search process, then present it to the next chancellor.

“I think that this values statement will help preserve what we like the most about the University and what we value the most about it,” Hendren said.

The official chancellor search committee will have a meeting Tuesday and will hold public forums Oct. 26 and Oct. 30.

Carson and Graduate and Professional Student Federation President Lauren Anderson are the only student representatives on the committee.

“Unfortunately we only have two specific students on that committee,” Tarrant said, noting the importance of bringing in diverse perspectives.

Carson had to sign a confidentiality agreement that requires she not discuss any personnel information.

But Tarrant said this will not be a problem until she moves to closed-door search meetings.

He said that now is the most important time, because student can add their say before the committee narrows their applicant list.

The chancellor sets the tone of UNC, so Hendren said the search committee members should know what it means to be a UNC student.

“There is a great legacy here,” he said. “And we just want to help the search committee think through the many different layers of Carolina.”