'Grow Down' emphasizes environmental initiatives

An emerald-colored lizard sits perched on a bed of periwinkle and crimson flowers in a drawing on Rachael Francis’ prayer flag, which hangs in the Carolina Garden Co-op’s garden behind Kenan Residence Hall.

At the co-op’s Garden Grow Down on Friday, Francis and others made prayer flags about their wishes for the environment and the world.

“I wish for life and its beauty to be untroubled and undisturbed,” Francis said.

With a cakewalk and bake sale – featuring items like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and vegan and pumpkin pies – the event raised about $100 for the group, which meets weekly to tend its vegetable and herb garden.

Money will be used for buying seeds and tools, composting and financing group T-shirts, co-op member Jordan Treakle said.

Co-op member Bryce Koukopoulos said she hoped the event also would bring people together to learn about the garden, have fun and unite around a common cause.

“I think it’s really great to be outside and be at an event where both little kids and college students are equally welcome,” said sophomore Mary Ellen Pearce, winner of a honey-walnut cake in the cakewalk.

Small children balanced on a purple slackline between two trees and had their faces painted with the help of co-op members.

In addition to three-legged racing, square-dancing and weaving a rainbow-colored pattern on the maypole, attendees also had the opportunity to speak with representatives from environmentally conscious organizations such as the Orange Water and Sewer Authority, UNC Sustainability Office, Earth First and Carrboro Farmers’ Market.

“We try to help people understand that just being responsible for yourself is not enough if you don’t want to see the planet destroyed by human excess,” said Mike Ketch, a representative of Earth First.

OWASA spokesman Greg Feller handed out low-flow shower heads, water-saving toilet flappers, dye tablets for checking toilet leaks and water conservation tips.

Despite the growth in the size of the campus, the per capita per day consumption of water has gone down consistently, said attendee Terri Buckner, a research associate at the UNC Sustainability Office.

She said she appreciates the hard work of students in both their efforts to conserve water and be environmentally conscious.

“They do an excellent job of organizing students around important issues and helping people become more aware that what we put into our body matters,” Buckner said.

Whether it’s getting down in the dirt and working in the garden, composting in her own yard or “dumpster diving,” co-op member Molly Rose said she tries to be environmentally aware.

“A good way to start thinking about sustainability is to be extremely conscious of what you are consuming and how it affects the environment,” Rose said.

“It’s great to see that this many people have come out to enjoy the beautiful weather and support the forming of a connection to the food we eat.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.