A two-headed monster leads the North Carolina's women's golf team.

One half comes in the form of senior Sydney Crane a four-year starter and 2008 All-ACC selection. She's a steady veteran who has seen everything a golf course has to offer.

The other is first-year phenom Allie White fresh off an impressive 18th-place finish in the U.S. Women's Amateur bowing out in match play.

The battle-tested Crane and the talented underclassman White currently are turning their efforts to the opener of UNC's fall season.

The Tar Heels this weekend started off in the Cougar Classic in Hanahan S.C. a benefit tournament to support breast cancer research and the Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Already the pair has carved out spaces on the leaderboard and Crane and White both sit at two-under-par for the tournament" in a tie for sixth place and just five shots back from the leader.

UNC finished the second day of competition in sixth place on the strength of Crane's one-under-par 71 and White's two-under-par 70.

""She hit the ball extremely well" UNC coach Sally Austin said of Crane.

Nothing flashy … if she makes a few more putts she'll be good. She's got a really good head" she stays calm. She's playing good golf with a good head on her shoulders.""

That sentiment is apparently one that Crane and White share. Given White's youth"" that's unusual.

""Allie hits a lot of quality golf shots"" Austin said. She's a competitor. She never gets rattled.""

That steadiness is doubly necessary in golf" where the game can seesaw between good" bad and awful all in the span of 18 holes.

""If you don't keep your patience you never know when the game is going to turn around for you" Austin said.

You could be having a bad round" and then all of a sudden your drive is in the fairway and you're right back in it.""

Crane's success also could be related to past experiences at the course at Yeaman's Hall Club in Hanahan.

""I played well" really steady Crane said. I love this course" it's my favorite. It's in great shape. I just like the holes. They're all different.""

The tournament's final round is today" and the Tar Heels are eight shots behind second place — and conference rival Virginia.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.