Renovations to Carmichael Auditorium will give North Carolina women's basketball team a top-of-the-line new home.

The construction estimated to cost $25 million" is the first major renovation since the building opened in the mid-'60s as the home of the men's basketball team.

""I don't know of a more historic building on campus" where the traditions of the University had been established that needed more tender loving care than Carmichael" women's basketball head coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

We had the worst arena in the ACC. I mean everybody else had a better playing facility than women's basketball.""

The renovations include adding a concourse entryway" new sound systems and a video board.

The arena's seating capacity will also decrease from around 10000 to 8"000 as the bleachers are removed and replaced with individual seating.

Athletics Director Dick Baddour said the facility will benefit more than just the women's basketball program.

""One of the things we want is to create a situation where the campus community can use it as well" Baddour said.

For gymnastics for wrestling" all of those sports will benefit. We want it to be a good place for the campus community.""

To that end" one of the lesser-known facets of the renovation is that the construction will also bring air conditioning to both Woolen Gym and Carmichael.

In addition to being a more inviting atmosphere for fans" Hatchell said the new facility will also help bring recruits to Chapel Hill.

""Facilities are No. 1 in recruiting"" she said.

It's amazing that we've done as well as we have with our facility situation in Carmichael.

""You consider we're trying to compete with Tennessee and Connecticut. … All these people" and they compete in these multi-million-dollar arenas and to an 18-year-old" that's important.

""I hadn't taken a recruit in my office in five or six years. It was so bad.""

The new design includes approximately 9"000 square feet of office space reception area and support space" as well as an 800-square-foot museum area similar to the men's museum near the Smith Center.

""When we go back over there"" it will be a state-of-the-art women's basketball arena.""

The Tar Heels will get a taste of the new amenities coming to Carmichael during the 2008-09 season"" as they will play home games in the Smith Center while their once and future home is under construction.

""It's an honor to play in a place like the Smith Center" Hatchell said. We've played over here in years past" some years we've played four or five games over here. We're excited to play here.""

And the Tar Heels will get their start early in November" with exhibition games Nov. 4 and 7. The season opener is Nov. 14 against Western Carolina.

North Carolina's slate includes a visit from Connecticut on Jan. 19 for a clash between two of the nations' most successful programs.

UNC also has a matchup against South Dakota on March 15 in between the ACC Tournament in Greensboro and the NCAA tournament.

The unusual wrinkle is by design" as Hatchell felt that the two-week layoff between the tournaments caused past teams to play flat in the big dance.

""That's a new strategy that we've used" because the men play the ACC championship on Sunday and then they play again Thursday or Saturday" she said. But we play on Sunday and we don't play again for two weeks.

""We won the last four ACC championships; we're primed for the ACC. During the ACC tournament we're playing as good as anyone in the country. We're peaked.

""But you're all revved up and ready to go and then you sit for two weeks. It's just hard to get that edge back.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.