What a debut.

Though both North Carolina swimming teams fell to Georgia  on Wednesday UNC's rookie class stole the show for the Tar Heels.

Opening its season against the Bulldogs — the nation's 10th-best men's team and top-ranked women's squad — North Carolina took the pool at Koury Natatorium on Wednesday looking for an upset.

Though the Tar Heels fell to the Bulldogs" coach Rich DeSelm took notice of the effort made by his first-year swimmers.

""It's a great group"" DeSelm said Wednesday. I'm really happy that they have joined us here at UNC.""

Indeed" the first-year swimmers accounted for all three of the UNC women's individual first-place times and half of the Tar Heel's four on the men's side.

In the squads' wins against South Carolina on Friday the first-years continued to perform well taking four individual wins.

Against Georgia first-year Enuf Swanson finished first in the 200-yard butterfly her debut as a Tar Heel.

Not to be outdone" fellow first-year Laura Moriarty swam her way to two first-place finishes in the 200-yard breaststroke and the 400-yard medley relay.

""I'm really happy" actually with my times. I wasn't expecting anything like that Moriarty said. I mean I've been working really hard in practice. But it's definitely showing" so I was really happy.""

Along with Moriarty and Swanson"" first-year Evan Reed finished with two first-place times as well as a strong leg in the final relay.

""Just training in practice" racing each other has helped Reed said. We have a great group of guys the seniors and juniors" on the team; they always motivate us.""

Reed was one of many to praise the leadership of the experienced swimmers on the team.

""It is a testament to the upperclassmen that the freshmen wanted to be here"" DeSelm said. They're the ones who did the recruiting. The freshmen are talented. We have some talent in the upperclassmen. Some people really stepped up today.""

The women will compete in the Dallas Classic this weekend" and the next dual meet is scheduled for  Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 against Minnesota.

With that nonconference meet ahead the teams know they can count on the first-years in addition to the veterans.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.