In a society where ""student-athletes"" are often scoffed at" North Carolina is doing its part to debunk the stereotype of the dumb jock.

In the NCAA's most recent graduation success rates report — which included data from the freshman classes of 1998-2001 — it found UNC to have a success rate of 85 percent" seven percentage points higher than the average for all Division I schools.

""I think it's certainly a testament to our student-athletes and to our coaches as well"" said Robert Mercer, director of UNC Academic Support Services.

If you're looking for differences"" that's probably it as far as comparing one program to the next.""

Five of UNC's squads posted perfect rates while six more reached at least the 90 percent park.

""We're very pleased with the graduation success rates of our teams" UNC Director of Athletics Dick Baddour said in a statement issued Oct. 21. But Baddour is not about to go resting on his laurels.

As successful as we have been" we're working toward even higher numbers in the future.""

While the success of any student-athlete ultimately comes down to the individual" UNC — like many other schools and universities — has a host of departments to thank for its success namely Academic Support Services.

Hosted in the Pope Academic Support Center next to the Kenan Field House Support Services provide student-athletes with access to individual and group tutoring study lounges and academic advisers.

Each team has different requirements for its members but most range from six to 10 hours of mandatory study time Mercer said.

That time can be split up between quiet study group study and individual or group tutoring among several other options.

Those programs — in addition to urging from coaches — make sure the student-athletes remember where their priorities should stand.

Senior Britt van Beek an exercise and sports science major and forward/midfielder on the UNC field hockey team" is glad to have a guide looking just over her shoulder.

""With field hockey being such a big part of your life in college" it's easy to forget about academics but here they don't much let you forget about it she said.

(UNC field hockey coach Karen) Shelton always tells you ‘You're a student first" then an athlete.'""

And Shelton has a good reason to say that. In her words"" ""Success breeds success.""

""I've also found in the past that my most successful teams also performed well in the classroom"" Shelton said.

It's a reflection of their discipline with their studies and their athletics.""

That discipline is made evident with just one late-night trip to the support center.

The center is open until at least 10 p.m. on school nights" and it's a good thing.

With schedules that already are jam-packed with class practice and weight training" sometimes late evenings are the only times student-athletes can find for studying.

""We will have" on average anywhere from 45 to 100 or so students in here at night Mercer said. I mean" space is an issue.""

But crowded or not" apparently the center is doing its job.

When told of the rates' release Shelton whose team scored a 91 percent graduation success rate" was quick to credit the University and her student-athletes for their success.

""The kids that we recruit come here to get an education. And they come here to play athletics at the highest level. So they get the best of both here" Shelton said.

And I'm not surprised at our level of success" and I would only expect it to continue.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.