A bug kept Logan Ripley from practicing Tuesday but she didn't look much worse for the ware in Wednesday's matchup with Old Dominion.

The junior goalkeeper stopped eight ODU shots and altered numerous others helping the No. 9 North Carolina women's lacrosse team cruise to a 16-9 victory Wednesday afternoon.

Despite the time away from the field the veteran netminder was even sharper than usual during pregame warm-ups" coach Jenny Levy said.

""She was really patient in the shooting drill" and that's what we're working on with her Levy said. I said ‘If you're patient you're quick enough to make saves"' and that carried over to the game and I thought she was outstanding.""

The Tar Heels (6-2" ACC 1-0) were just as strong on the offensive end notching 11 first half scores en route to their highest goal total of the season.

Though both teams were sloppy in the midfield — combining for a whopping 41 turnovers on the afternoon — UNC was the more efficient team from inside 12 meters.

North Carolina took two fewer shots than the Monarchs but ODU (3-1) was unable to get much past Ripley" who attributed the quality of her performance to the play of her defense.

""The defense held them to really weak shots" so I think a lot of the credit goes to them forcing (ODU shooters) to their non-strong side" Ripley said.

After a pair of Old Dominion goals knotted the score at 2-2 early in the first period, the Tar Heels took control, tallying eight straight goals to take a commanding 10-2 advantage.

Seven different players added to the Tar Heels' 11-3 halftime lead, including sophomore Corey Donohoe, who recorded four of her team-high five goals in the opening stanza.

Donohoe had her way with the Monarch defense for much of the afternoon, repeatedly powering through several ODU defenders with an impressive array of stick- skills.

Corey's so tough to defend"" she really is pretty versatile."" Levy said. ""It was good to see her have a really good game today"" and I thought she sparked our offense in the first half.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.