M. Basketball: Gonzaga is familiar foe for UNC

uncmbb
Tyler Hansbrough faced Gonzaga in his sophomore year in an 82-74 UNC loss. Eight of the two teams? 10 starters played in that game.

North Carolina last played Gonzaga more than two years ago losing in the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals 82-74.

The tape of that game sat on coach Roy Williams' desk Tuesday afternoon unwatched.

Williams hadn't reviewed the game before UNC's Sweet 16 press conference at the Smith Center but he said he'd soon do so.

Given the present landscape of college basketball in which players frequently leave after one or two seasons game tapes normally don't have a two-year shelf life.

But in the case of top-seeded UNC and No. 4 Gonzaga many of the principal players who will suit up in Memphis Tenn." also had big roles in the 2006 game.

""It's some of the same guys" Williams said (Josh) Heytvelt (Matt) Bouldin" those guys were there. Both of them played really well. I thought Josh was sensational in that game against us.""

In fact" all but two of Friday's projected starters logged minutes in that game with six playing at least 20.

So unlike many of the other Sweet 16 matchups there will be a small degree of familiarity between the Tar Heels and Bulldogs. And when Williams watches the film he'll see a Gonzaga squad that was taking it to his players.

Heytvelt scored 19 points" grabbed eight rebounds and blocked four shots. His court presence also accounted for many of senior Tyler Hansbrough's woes as the then-sophomore scored nine points on 2-of-5 shooting.

""How tough of a team they were" Hansbrough said on what he remembers from that game. They came out after us from the gate. And Heytvelt had a really good game against us" and he's very tough.""

Two other Gonzaga starters also enjoyed success against UNC. Guard Jeremy Pargo scored 16 points" and Bouldin scored 14 off the bench.

But just because the Bulldogs were able to out-muscle the Tar Heels two years ago it doesn't mean history is destined to repeat itself in Memphis.

Players have evolved as have the team dynamics. Williams felt it more pressing to watch tape of Gonzaga's second-round win against Western Kentucky" and junior Wayne Ellington can't recall anything specific about the 2006 game in New York.

""Honestly" I can't even remember" Ellington said. I know they kicked our butts. They gave it to us pretty good.""

North Carolina isn't putting too much stock into the specifics of that game"" though the outcome still lingers in the back of some minds.

""That was our first loss — that was my first loss as a Carolina player — and it didn't feel too good" Ellington said. We all remember that day" and we're looking forward to getting them back.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.