Two juniors named Eve Carson Scholars

Chase Jones
Chase Jones

Juniors Caroline Fish and Chase Jones have been named the recipients of the Eve Marie Carson Scholarship for the 2010-11 school year.

The two in-state students were selected by a committee for their commitment to academic excellence, leadership and public service. They will receive funding to cover half the estimated cost of attendance at UNC, as well as $5,000 for a summer project.

The scholarship was created to commemorate the life of former Student Body President Eve Carson, who was killed in March 2008. Carson was committed to the idea of creating a merit scholarship for juniors.

The scholarship is funded by more than 1,700 private donations to an endowment managed by the UNC development office.

Senior Elinor Benami focused on environmental issues as the first Carson scholar this year.

Thomas Edwards, director of the scholarship, said the selection committee awarded two individuals to increase impact and decrease the pressure on the recipient.

“We thought that awarding two would decrease that level of, or burden of, carrying on Eve’s legacy,” he said. “It’s a good burden in some sense, but it can also be a lot for one person.”

Fish has devoted herself to solving issues of domestic violence and sexual abuse and working to promote women’s empowerment, both while studying abroad in France and on campus with the organization Project Dinah.

Jones, a varsity baseball player at UNC, impressed the selection committee with his perseverance in overcoming brain cancer as a freshman and working with patients at the N.C. Children’s Hospital.

Both Fish and Jones said they were thrilled to receive the award.

“All I want to do is make a positive impact and personify Eve Carson’s image in the best way possible,” Jones said. “Because I know this award is not about me. It’s about carrying on her legacy and making an impact.”