NCAAs becoming out of UNC's sight

Tar Heels drop their ninth match in ACC

CHESTNUT HILL, Ma. — Coach Roy Williams looked at a road game against Boston College and was more than confident about North Carolina’s chances of making a run into the postseason.

“In my own opinion, I thought we were going to win today and get on a great run and we’d be in the NCAA Tournament,” Williams said on Saturday.

“I said (before the game), ‘Alright, we’re 3-8, let’s win five in a row and that’ll get us in.’”

It wasn’t just optimism; it was blind faith. But after a 71-67 loss to the Eagles that guaranteed the Tar Heels will have their first losing conference record in seven years, it’ll be hard to even be hopeful. Now, desperation seems more appropriate.

Despite the return of forward Tyler Zeller from injury, UNC (14-13, 3-9 ACC) couldn’t manage a win against a ninth-place Boston College team that had lost four in a row.

“We’ve got to win the ACC tournament,” John Henson said. “That’s the only way. Right now it’s life or death.”

In his third start of the year, Henson managed 11 points, second only to Deon Thompson’s 17 on the Tar Heels. But the freshman committed a crucial goaltending violation right after UNC had rattled off seven straight to cut the lead to 63-60.

That killed the momentum and gave Boston College (13-13, 4-8) just the breathing room it needed to hold on for the win. The two squads traded baskets until Thompson’s missed jumper in the final minute ended in a jump ball in the Eagles’ favor.

“We just didn’t get a stop,” said Thompson, who also led UNC with nine rebounds. “It’s as simple as that.”

Thanks largely to a 5-of-11 mark at the three-point line, Boston College led 37-36 at halftime. But guard Reggie Jackson scored 13 of his 17 points in the second period to help Boston College eventually take control of a back-and-forth game.

He matched the Tar Heels’ assists total (seven) by himself, illustrating that even though the game was competitive, there wasn’t much for UNC to be proud of.

At least the Tar Heels can look forward to Zeller getting back to form. In his first game since an ACC-opening win against Virginia Tech, he struggled to find a rhythm but finished close to his season averages.

He swished his first look, a hook shot from the high post, but was 1-for-8 for the rest of the game — including a couple of bad misses right next to the basket.

Zeller did manage to get to the free throw line more than any other player on the floor. He finished with nine points and seven boards, in what Williams called an “OK” effort.

But with Ed Davis likely done for the season and Travis Wear still nursing a badly sprained ankle, the Tar Heels will need a lot more production from their 7-footer — especially if those aspirations of making a late-season surge are anything more than a pipe dream.

“Right now we got a lot of holes we’re trying to fill, and we don’t have enough fingers,” Williams said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.