Favors, Zeller dominate post play

GT freshman gives Tar Heels all they want

Georgia Tech's Derrick Favors shields Tyler Zeller from a rebound in the second half. DTH/Daniel Sircar

GREENSBORO — During the offseason, North Carolina forward Tyler Zeller added width to his 7-foot frame so he’d be more formidable in the post.

He needed every pound against Georgia Tech’s Derrick Favors on Thursday night.

The ACC freshman of the year posted 18 points using soft jump hooks, offensive rebound follows and creating opportunities from his five blocked shots. He did most of his damage against Zeller and fellow Tar Heel John Henson in the Yellow Jacket’s come-from-behind win.

The power displayed by Favors in the paint can be attributed to his 246-pound body, as well as the pounds that his foes lacked.

“You see his arms are a lot bigger than they were at the beginning of the year,” Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt said. “(Teammate Gani Lawal) took him to the weight room after each game.”

Henson, who is 6-foot-10 and 195 pounds, started the game in the post, but Zeller came off the bench and received the bulk of Favors-duty as the game progressed. Zeller was successful at keeping Favors off the offensive glass the entire second half, yet Favors still poured in 10 points in the frame.

"I think they did a good job on me, but I think I played better offense to their defense,” Favors said.

“I just took it upon myself for the team not to lose.”

The inside play of both Zeller and Favors was critical to either team’s success. UNC made only two three-pointers and the Yellow Jackets only made a quarter of their shots from behind the arc.

Favors’ marquee play came at the 2:20 mark and the Yellow Jackets leading by only two. Marcus Gineyard gathered Glen Rice Jr.’s turnover and found an open Zeller, who dribbled into the paint and prepared for takeoff. Unbeknownst to the sophomore was a hustling Favors, who rose to swat the attempt and give Georgia Tech possession once more.

While he was a catalyst for the Yellow Jackets’ comeback, Favors was held in check at least in part by Zeller. He finished with his first career double-double, leading the Tar Heels in both scoring and rebounding. But he couldn’t have done it without bulking up.

“Last year I was 212 pounds and he would have just pushed me around,” Zeller said. “I would have struggled tremendously.”