Men's basketball gets win over Missississippi State on last-second score

Drew’s layup in final seconds advances UNC to third round

Deon Thompson slams one of his four field goals Saturday in North Carolina’s win against Mississippi State. DTH/Jordan Lawrence

STARKVILLE, Miss. — On Jan. 16 against Georgia Tech, after Larry Drew II’s layup rolled harmlessly off the rim with seconds to play, coach Roy Williams told him not to sweat it. He’d get another chance to hit a game-winner.

Saturday, Drew finally got another opportunity. With 8.9 seconds left in a tied game, he took the ball coast-to-coast and hit the game-winning layup --— over the NCAA’s all-time leading shot blocker, no less.

North Carolina, too, is making good on its second chance. The Tar Heels pulled the 76-74 upset against No. 1 seed Mississippi State and advanced to the third round of the NIT Tournament.

“I just told myself it was a do or die situation,” Drew said. “I just wanted to get up there and give it a chance to go in. And luckily it did.”

Luck had a hand in the closing moments. Williams said he felt “very fortunate” with the outcome — but that masks the fact that the Tar Heels (18-16) have been playing much better lately. UNC shot better than 48 percent for the game and outscored the Bulldogs 42 to 14 in the paint.

The Tar Heels have led at the half in five of their last six games, and they managed to contain Jarvis Varnado, college basketball’s most prolific blocker, to earn their third road win of the season.

Varnado’s numbers were right around his averages with four rejections and 14 points. But he was a secondary option on offense as North Carolina forced the Bulldogs to take half of their shots from outside the arc.

After trailing by 12 early, UNC went into halftime with a 3-point edge. But the Bulldogs (24-12) quickly jumped out to tie it at 41 on a thunderous one-handed alley-oop by Varnado.

Mississippi State built an eight-point lead only to see the Tar Heels fight back despite losing Tyler Zeller to a head injury.

After being fouled on an offensive rebound midway through the second half, the seven-footer needed five stitches on his left eyebrow and may have suffered a concussion.

Will Graves was there to help bring the Tar Heels back, and his tying 3-pointer with just six minutes to play made the score 61-61. He broke out of a shooting slump to lead UNC with 17 points and four second-half 3-pointers.

Graves had been just 3-for-24 in his last three games, but he hit key shots during a thrilling back-and-forth finish, something he credited to unwavering confidence.

“It’s preparation,” Graves said. “I always look back at the Boston Celtics and Ray Allen when they had their run for the world championship. He was off a lot during the playoffs and he said he just stuck to the same routine.

“I just stick to the same routine, keep my confidence up, and God will take care of the rest.”

Graves’ biggest bucket gave the Tar Heels a 74-72 lead with under a minute remaining. The junior swingman came off a double screen to the top of the key and — with defenders’ hands in his face — banked in a 3-pointer.

When John Henson threw down a block on Barry Stewart at the other end, it looked like the game could be over. But Dexter Strickland missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and Henson fouled Stewart on the rebound, who then made both to set up Drew’s dramatic bucket.

Drew’s teammates were especially pleased to see him get the winning bucket.

“It was impressive that Larry was able to finish at the basket the way he did,” Deon Thompson said. 

“It was fun to see. You’re happy for a guy.”

The Tar Heels would undoubtedly be happier if they were making a run in that other postseason tournament. 

But with nothing to lose in the NIT, there’s no one complaining.

“I just want to play another game,” Williams said.

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@unc.edu.