Freshman trio brings potential to UNC

Barnes, Bullock and Marshall debut

Potential: for most of North Carolina’s past freshmen classes, it’s a measure of what could be.
For this year’s class, it’s a measure of what will be.

The “Big” three youngsters are headlined by forward Harrison Barnes, a skilled wing player who has already drawn comparisons with Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant, who is already a favorite to win this season’s NBA MVP award at the age of 22.

But comparisons don’t always ring true. See Brown, Kwame, a former first pick in the 2001 NBA draft who, when he was just a year older than Barnes, was compared to All-Star Kevin Garnett.

It isn’t the top recruit’s crossover, jumpshot or athleticism that sets him apart. Those are traits synonymous with good players. Barnes is differentiated by something else.

“Harrison has one thing that very few people have,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “He’s just got tremendous discipline, tremendous focus, tremendous desire … and he’s willing to do those little things that make him special.

“At this point, I’ve never been around a freshman that has this kind of intensity at this stage in his freshman year.”
If the Hall of Fame coach’s words don’t sunder Barnes from the pack, his preseason All-American selection should. On Monday, Barnes became the first freshman to earn a spot on the team since its beginnings prior to the 1986-87 season.
And that’s just the turtle’s head.

Point guard Kendall Marshall and shooting guard Reggie Bullock are far from consolation grabs.

Williams said all three are more mature than most freshmen, and the players have noticed.

“They jumped right in,” sophomore guard Leslie McDonald said. “I was very surprised for them to just jump right in with us. I was very pleased.”

Scout.com rated Bullock the No. 2 shooting guard in the country and Marshall as the nation’s No. 9 point guard, and they both have something UNC lacked last season.

Marshall brings a sniper’s court vision, and the true point guard’s pass-first style has already gained recognition from his teammates and the public. This summer, Marshall was named MVP of the NBA Top 100 Camp for high-school athletes.
“His knowledge of knowing how to get a player involved, he’s a true point guard,” sophomore guard Dexter Strickland said. “He makes great passes. He flows with the game. He’s just a great player.”

And then there’s Bullock.

Other than scorching the nets at Kinston High, the skilled shooter burst onto the scene and into the hearts of UNC fans after saying Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski “looks like a rat” in a YouTube video featuring UNC’s big three.

But Bullock isn’t all jokes and grins. His serious side is just as acute. On the inside of the marksman’s right arm is tattooed the word “Hungry,” a testament to his drive. On his left, in the same spot, is the word “Humble,” a reminder to keep his head smaller than regulation size.

Bullock’s long-range shooting is the most valuable asset he brings to the Tar Heels. UNC has only one returning player that shot more than .400 last season from the 3-point line, and it was junior Justin Watts, who went 4-for-9.

“He can shoot the ball in the basket, wonderful kid, but long arms,” Williams said of Bullock. “He looks like a basketball player.”

Bullock is 6-foot-7. Barnes stands just an inch taller. Translation: mismatch city. And Marshall, a respectable 6-foot-3, has made a name by making defenders look silly.

Few freshmen classes arrive to Chapel Hill with such hype.

Fewer with such potential.