Miami, Haith will rely on Scott

The 2010-11 season looks to be a good one for the University of Miami despite losing its top two scorers from last season.

The most acute of those losses is Dwayne Collins, the 60th pick in April’s NBA Draft, who led the team in points, rebounds and field goal percentage last season.

Most of those hopes sit upon the shoulders of sophomore Durand Scott. An ACC All-Rookie team selection last season, Scott will lead an inexperienced team returning only three players who averaged 20 minutes or more a year ago.

Coach Frank Haith, now in his seventh season at Miami, had high praise of Scott at ACC media day.

“He’s only a sophomore and he’ll going to be one of the best guards in this league, and I think eventually he’ll be one of the best players in this league,” Haith said. “He’s that good.”

Scott is poised for a breakout campaign as one of the ACC’s brightest stars after finishing his freshman campaign in Miami’s top three in scoring, rebounding and assists.

The team will also look for junior point guard Malcolm Grant to play an increased role in its offense. For the Hurricanes to be successful against ACC competition this season, Grant will have to improve the 1.77:1 assist-to-turnover ratio he posted as a sophomore.

Grant and forward Adrian Thomas, the only player with more than junior-level experience, should provide a more-than-capable outside threat for the Hurricanes that will give Scott room to drive and make plays against opposing defenses.

“(Thomas) is like a guard playing in the post because he can help stretch the defense because he’s such a great shooter,” Haith said.

Sophomore center Reggie Johnson and junior forward DeQuan Jones will also be interesting to watch in Miami this season.

Johnson, the team’s 300-pound anchor in the paint, should put up big numbers as a starter this season. As a freshman, Johnson was the team’s second-leading rebounder despite averaging only 13.6 minutes.

“He’s so big he can establish position, he’s just got to be a great wedger,” Haith said. “You’re going to have good things happen. You’re either going to score or you’re going to get fouled.”

Jones is a super athletic wing who has enough potential to make him one of the most dynamic players in the ACC. If he can capitalize on increased minutes, Miami will be a difficult team to defend.