Rematch takes different dynamic at neutral site

Tar Heels handle Wolfpack in Cary

Senior midfielder Michael Farfan had a goal and an assist in UNC’s win against N.C. State in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals Wednesday.

CARY — North Carolina was not taking its matchup with rival N.C. State lightly.

Not after the Wolfpack upset UNC in the ACC Tournament last season. Not after the Red and White gave the Tar Heels all they could handle in their September regular-season matchup.

But from the beginning, Wednesday’s game didn’t have the feel of a rivalry game.

“They had to play a game yesterday, and that game was 3-3 until fifteen minutes to go when they put it out of reach, and so they had to exert a lot of energy,” UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. “I think it showed today, we felt like we can always shift into another gear, but I don’t think N.C. State could shift into another gear.”

Another difference between UNC’s 4-0 blowout and regular season nail-biter was the energy, or lack thereof, surrounding the match.

In the regular-season matchup, the atmosphere was electric. The stands at Raleigh’s Dail Soccer Stadium were packed. And those who were turned away at the gate watched from the refuge of a nearby parking garage.

Maybe it was the cold weather, or maybe it was the neutral site. Whatever the reason, Wednesday’s game didn’t have the same crowd or buildup.

“It was a lot different tonight because I didn’t have that constant chatter from behind the goal,” sophomore goalkeeper Scott Goodwin said.

“The first time we played them it was a really good game, a very physical game and very intense. They always get up to play us as we do them. I definitely think we were pumped up for this game, and I think it showed.”

But unlike the last contest between the two teams, the outcome of this game was almost never in doubt.

After the Tar Heels’ two early first-half goals, North Carolina could have put the game on cruise control.

Instead, the Tar Heels continued to score, taking 13 of their 21 shots in the second half.

Forced to move up more men on the attack, the N.C. State defense opened up even more — allowing two second-half goals with many shots just missing their mark.

It did not help the Wolfpack that it was playing without starting goalie Will Mackvick. In his place was true freshman Carlos Villa, who was granted no margin for error against the North Carolina attack.

The Tar Heels’ dominance showed not only on the scoreboard but also in the body language of the players.

Following North Carolina’s third goal of the game, N.C. State defender David Brown picked up a red card after taking down North Carolina forward Martin Murphy. From that point, the game was well in hand.

N.C. State senior captain Chris Zuerner said that the neutral field certainly factored into the lack of energy.

“Whenever you are at home, you feel like you have a man up,” Zuerner said.

“The game plan was the same. The first two goals came off set pieces … and I think that was the turning point right there and the rest was the game.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.