Thorp, Kleinschmidt lead 'Thriller' to promote Eve Ball

Lauren Petersburg of the Carolina Dance Initiative leads students, Chancellor Holden Thorp, Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt and UNC Student Body President Hogan Medlin in the choreography to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” Monday in the Pit.

Halloween is over.

But in the Pit on Monday, the thrills continued.

Chancellor Holden Thorp, Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt and UNC Student Body President Hogan Medlin joined students at noon to dance portions of Michael Jackson’s iconic music video “Thriller” to promote Friday’s Eve Ball, a fundraiser for the Eve Carson Scholarship.

Lauren Petersburg, president of the Carolina Dance Initiative, led a group tutorial on the King of Pop’s signature moves.

“As a dancer, you really have to respect Michael Jackson,” Petersburg said. “His dancing is pretty intense.”

Petersburg flawlessly performed the famous dance while explaining the moves to the group. Less graceful students frequently bumped into one another and burst into laughter as they attempted to mimic her expertise.

“As he sings ‘get up’ — get up!” Petersburg called to her pupils. “It’s that simple, I swear. And when in doubt — just act like a zombie!”

At noon, Thorp, his wife Patti and Kleinschmidt appeared to show their stuff. A crowd of students cheered as the dancers stomped, twirled and put on their best zombie faces.

UNC men’s basketball coach Roy Williams was among the spectators in the Pit. He politely refused to join, despite efforts from the crowd to pull him into the routine by chanting his name.

The dance was staged to sell tickets for the Eve Carson Scholarship’s second-annual Eve Ball.

“I’m very supportive of what it stands for,” said Thorp, who exuded his zombie interpretation through animated grimaces.

The memorial scholarship is the only student-run award that the University offers. It was created in 2008 after the murder of former student body president Eve Carson, who had sought to create a way to recognize growth and achievements for rising seniors.

Two juniors were awarded the scholarship for 2010-11.

“It’s for students who will honor Eve’s legacy,” said Sofia Wilson, co-director of external fund raising for the Eve Carson scholarship.

Kleinschmidt said that the award helps recipients to carry out the Carolina Way.

“There are so many students here who continue to uphold her values,” Kleinschmidt said.

After several practice runs, Petersburg led the group in one final performance of “Thriller.”

The crowd responded with resounding applause and cheers. Many students came forward to commend Thorp and Kleinschmidt on their dancing skills.

“I was actually around when ‘Thriller’ came out,” Thorp said.

Kleinschmidt said he remembers the song from his seventh grade school dance, to which Thorp gave a laugh.

“I’m a lot older than he is,” Thorp said. “I would have been the one playing the song at that dance.”

Contact the Arts Editor

at artsdesk@unc.edu.