UNC field hockey drops national title

UNC’s Marta Malmberg fights for the ball against the Maryland defense on Sunday. Malmberg scored one of UNC’s two goals in the title game.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — It took almost two full overtime periods to find a winner, but eventually it was the No. 1 Maryland field hockey team that beat No. 2 North Carolina 3-2 to win an exciting NCAA National Championship on Sunday.

With 2:10 left in the second overtime period of seven-on-seven sudden-death play and with penalty strokes looming, Maryland’s Megan Frazer caught a pass at the top of the circle and spun around a defender for a reverse-stick blast that beat UNC goalie Jackie Kintzer to win the game.

“Our kids really fought and played their hearts out,” UNC coach Karen Shelton said. “They tried as hard as they possibly could and I don’t think we have any regrets. I just wish we could have had two minutes and 10 seconds more.”

After trading chances in the first overtime, the Tar Heels found themselves on the defensive for most of the second 15-minute period. Before eventually scoring, the Terrapins had numerous quality scoring chances but Kintzer played spectacularly, making one amazing game-saving stop after another.

Kintzer finished with nine saves, five in overtime alone, including a fantastic effort on Maryland’s Katie O’Donnell, the country’s leading scorer. O’Donnell stole the ball from a UNC defender and was in alone on a breakaway when Kintzer came charging out, dove down and got her stick on the ball to stop the four-time ACC offensive player of the year.

But in the end, Maryland’s top-ranked offense and constant pressure was too much and Frazer’s goal meant the Terrapins had won their seventh national championship.

“It’s not sour, we played great we gave them everything we could,” Kintzer said. “We just didn’t win so can’t be upset about it.”

After Maryland started the scoring less than five minutes in with a Hayley Turner goal off a penalty corner, UNC came back with two penalty-corner goals of its own to take the lead.

First it was Meghan Dawson converting a corner by driving a shot past Maryland goalie Melissa Vassalotti with 30 seconds left in the first half. UNC then used that momentum to come out strong in the second half, and not even five minutes in, Marta Malmberg’s drag flick on a corner beat Vassalotti to give the Tar Heels the 2-1 lead.

UNC had chances to extend its lead but Vassalotti and Maryland’s defense made some key stops to keep the Terrapins in the game. Then with less than eight minutes remaining Harriet Tibble got her first goal of the year, scoring on a shot from the top right of the circle.

The teams then headed to overtime where both had multiple chances to win before Frazer beat Kintzer for the winner.

Shelton, who has coached in four prior overtime championship games, said she still enjoyed the game despite the loss.

“There’s no bigger thrill then being in a national championship game and to go to overtime,” Shelton said.

The loss to Maryland was the Tar Heels’ third of the year, all coming at the hands of the Terrapins.

“I’m really proud of our team, I’m really proud to represent the University of North Carolina,” Shelton said. “We will take pride in finishing second in the nation, there’s no shame in that.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.