What UNC volleyball digs most: celebrations

Volleyball readies for NCAA Tourney

UNC volleyball players meet in their pregame routine before matches. The women use celebrations as way to increase energy during the games.

Christine Vaughen pounds the floor with her feet and punches the air with two fists after a big kill.
Vaughen and her teammates immediately converge into a circle, with butt slaps aplenty and crowd noise blaring around them.

Her arms interlocked with her six teammates, Vaughen can hear, smell and touch each one of her teammates as they go review the next play’s strategy in the huddle.

Who says volleyball isn’t a contact sport?

With limited contact with opposing teams, volleyball teams like North Carolina create their own physicality with zealous celebrations and animated embraces after each point.

These huddles are not superficial showings of cheerleading. Rather, coach Joe Sagula says they’re an integral part of the sport’s competitiveness.

“There’s no physical contact across the net where sometimes people can release energy,” Sagula said. “There’s some way they want to create physical connections with people, so the way to do it is with your own team.”

Sagula said that a competitive energy is fostered in sports like basketball and football by direct physical contact with the other team.

A big hit in football or a posterizing dunk a la Danny Green can invigorate a team or a crowd, but in volleyball, Sagula said a lot of that energy is created by the team itself because of the separation of the two teams by the net.

Sagula said this year’s team has relied more than ever on that intra-team physicality because of its lack of size.

This leadership has brought the Tar Heels (24-9) to the NCAA Tournament, an event they missed a season ago. UNC takes on Ole Miss on Friday at the University of California, Berkeley in the first round.

“Each year different people do different things,” Sagula said. “This year, we’ve got a couple of individuals that just drive the nature of that. It would be difficult for us to be as competitive as we have without people like Cora (Harms) and Emily (McGee), who are very verbal about how they play.

“It’s very rare that you can find success when you have teams that are downtrodden and not happy on the court.”

Though Sagula encourages communication on the court, he said he does not coach specific cheers or on-court mannerisms — that’s up to the players to decide for themselves.

Junior Erica Behm said that each player has her own distinct celebration. Behm’s is a traditional single fist pump, while Harms leaps into the air multiple times before entering the huddle.

Though celebrations are an integral part of volleyball at all levels, Vaughen said the collegiate level offers less creativity because of its greater emphasis on professionalism.

“In high school, you can do blocking cheers or specific ace cheers,” Vaughen said. “But then I realized when I came to college that I couldn’t do that anymore, I couldn’t dance in the middle and yell ‘dance party weekend’ like I had for five years.

“Apparently you’re just too mature for that now, so everyone just kind of fist pumps or something else.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.