In response to J. E. Williams’ (“Homosexuality, Christianity are diametrically opposed,” Feb. 1) statement that “Christianity and homosexuality are incongruous,” I argue that those statements are misguided. Does the Bible condemn homosexuality? Yes, it definitely does. One of the most quoted verses in this argument is 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 where Paul states that homosexuals/sodomites will not inherit the kingdom of God. But what is overlooked is the actual message of the scripture. Included in the list are drunkards, adulterers, cheaters, gluttons and slanderers.

The message is not that homosexuals can’t be or are not Christians. The message is that no one deserves the grace, love and forgiveness that God provides. Am I a Christian? Yes. Do I deserve what God offers through his son? Absolutely not. Why? Because I am human and at times I have been a drunkard, a slanderer, a glutton and I have been lustful, thus committing adultery in my heart and mind. Is homosexuality, according to Christian and Jewish scripture, sinful? Definitely. Does it change God’s love for homosexuals? Absolutely not.

God loves all individuals even though all individuals find themselves at times slaves to poor choices. I’m not promoting sin; I’m simply making an objective statement about God’s unconditional love. If anyone disagrees with that statement, I recommend taking a closer look at scripture. I’m sorry but yes, it’s okay to be gay and a Christian. Human nature makes us all equally sinful, thus falling short of God’s glory. It’s not our job to judge our neighbors in the first place.

Adam Blaser

Junior

Psychology and Religious Studies