UNC First Amendment Day panel discusses Psalm 100

7499_0928_psalm100_hellerf.jpg
Psalm 100 panel. left Andrew Brown, law school student, class of '08 joshua groll, Class of

At the center of the debate surrounding Psalm 100’s dismissal of a gay member is the conflict between a First Amendment right and a University policy.

Three student panelists highlighted the contrast between the First Amendment right to freedom of assembly and UNC’s anti-discrimination policy at a panel discussion as part of Tuesday’s First Amendment Day events.

More than 30 students attended the debate about the controversial ousting of Will Thomason, who Psalm 100 members said was dismissed because his views on homosexuality did not align with the group’s constitution.

The event’s three panelists were Joshua Groll, a 2011 UNC graduate and former writer for The Carolina Review, Andrew Brown, a 2008 UNC graduate and student at the UNC School of Law, and Billy Kluttz, a senior political science and women’s studies major. James Heilpern, a senior religious studies major, organized and moderated the debate.

Brown said groups should be allowed to be discriminating in membership if three factors exist.

“The University should allow full recognition and funding for all groups, the group cannot be violent or coercive in limiting its membership and the group should not have a monopoly on that activity,” he said.
Brown said it is necessary to protect the abilities of people to disagree in order to have educated dialogue between groups.

Groll said as long as the University does that, groups should be permitted to accept or reject members based on their alignment with the group’s beliefs.

“If the group’s ideology is that they don’t associate with homosexual beliefs, they have that right,” he said.
Panelists discussed the link between ideology and identity for much of the debate.

“There is a false dichotomy in the belief that ideology and identity never intersect,” Kluttz said.

Kluttz said Psalm 100 was wrong to oust Thomason for not supporting a belief that clashed with his identity.

“Blocking an individual from a community they can become attached to causes social harm,” Kluttz said. “That’s where I draw the line.”
Groll said harm is difficult to define. “It’s like shooting darts into Jell-O. It’s an ephemeral and amorphous term,” he said.

Attendees said they were pleased with the debate’s discussion.

“I support Psalm 100’s decision, but I can understand the controversy over it,” senior Michele Avara said. “You can talk about this kind of thing forever, but I think both sides were fairly well represented.”

Trevor Phillips, a freshman and new member of Psalm 100, said he took interest in Groll’s responses.

“I thought Josh was very gallant in defending a group that doesn’t believe the same things as he does,” Phillips said. “He didn’t sacrifice his integrity.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.