UNC looks dominant in win against Boston College

UNC guard Dexter Strickland drives to the hoop during the game against Boston College on Saturday. The Tar Heels defeated Boston College 83-60.

It didn’t seem likely that an unranked team with nine freshmen could pull within 10 points of the No. 3 team in the nation, especially on a night during which the inexperienced team committed 20 turnovers.

Nobody told that to Boston College (5-10, 0-1 ACC), which entered the game expected to lose by more than 30 points.

“I was really impressed with Steve (Donahue’s) club,” coach Roy Williams said. “I don’t think they ever got shook.”

The Eagles, who started five freshmen, hung with UNC for much of the game. After trailing by 21 in the second half, Boston College pulled within nine with as many minutes to go — for a moment.

The Tar Heels (14-2, 1-0) rode a 24-10 run to win 83-60 and started conference play with a win for the third consecutive season, just not quite as easily as most expected.

“Sometimes when we get a lead, we let up defensively and we just want to run out and score,” UNC forward John Henson said. “I think we have to play defense a little harder, especially when we’re up by a lot.”

For parts of the game, however, UNC played stifling defense. Harrison Barnes picked a career-high four pockets Saturday and held Boston College’s leading scorer, Patrick Heckmann, to eight points, two assists and seven turnovers.

Henson and Tyler Zeller had five blocks between them.

“We have to improve on those times we weren’t and be able to play for 40 minutes,” Henson said. “Some of it is just discipline. It’s tough to do, but you have to be able to do it.”

Eventually, UNC did it, but it took the Tar Heels longer than they would have liked. Even so, the 23-point win wasn’t the worst way for UNC to begin ACC play.

Barnes seemed untouchable at times, making 10-of-15 shots, 3-of-4 from long range, for 25 points.

“He has such a purpose to his game now, and he’s much sharper (than last season),” Boston College coach Donahue said. “He has a nice head on his shoulders and has a sense of what it means to win.”

While Barnes probably played with the most “purpose” Saturday, the rest of UNC’s frontcourt was right there with him. Zeller finished with 20 points and eight rebounds while Henson added 14 and eight of his own. Together the two made 13-of-21 shots.

And in usual fashion, Kendall Marshall handed out 11 assists while scoring six points of his own.

“He creates so much for everybody else, so you try to play him as a passer as much as you can,” Donahue said. “When he started sensing that at the end of the first half he took those two baskets and said, ‘If you aren’t going to guard me, I’m going to get a layup.’ That’s why he’s a good basketball player.”

Williams and Chancellor Holden Thorp, who was booed by some in attendance at the Smith Center, honored former athletic director Dick Baddour at halftime.

Contact the Sports Editor
at sports@dailytarheel.com.