As a member of the Sierra Student Coalition, I’m thrilled that the Beehive Collective is coming to UNC.

The Beehive is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization. Their art brings the stories of those affected by coal in the Appalachians to life.

The Beehive’s latest project, “The True Cost of Coal,” shows the dangers of mountaintop removal, or MTR.

MTR levels mountains to mine for coal. It’s dangerous to human health. It’s environmentally unsound. It deserves far wider attention. So I’m inspired to see the issue depicted artistically.
The visual connection between degradation of the land and degradation of human communities is vital to educating people. It’s one more step toward ending the practice for good.

Today, I plan to attend their interactive workshop about the project at 7 p.m. in Gardner 105. Everyone who cares about MTR or wants to experience great art should see come out and see this high energy presentation and take a close up look at the larger than life banner version of “The True Cost of Coal.”

For those who can’t make it at 7 p.m., “The True Cost of Coal” will also be shown from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Polk Place.

Lauren Moore ’16
Environmental science