I would like to thank the author of “Gender neutral push is just wrongheaded.” I believe there is always room for intelligent conversations and education about important issues.

However, I find this letter particularly problematic because it is sexist, heterosexist and lacks basic understanding of societal gender construction.

1. Genitalia doesn’t predict someone’s gender nor does it dictate who someone desires sexually.

2. The assumption that people of different genders will automatically want to have sex if allowed to live together is heterosexist. This ignores the main reasons why students are advocating for gender-neutral housing, which are safety, inclusion and accessible housing for students of any sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.

3) The notion that discrimination or exclusion doesn’t currently happen in gender segregated dorms and/or resident halls on campus is incorrect. Research shows LGBQ people are 19 times more likely to report having experienced verbal harassment or fearing for their physical safety. Transgender, intersex, or genderqueer respondents are more likely to experience verbal harassment or fear for their physical safety than were people of other gender identities. Also, residence halls are the fourth highest location of harassment for LGBQ people.

Safety, inclusion and accessibility within housing are all fundamental, not gender, constructions that society affirms.

Kevin Claybren ‘14
Student Coordinator
Gender Non-Specific Housing