I am writing (with all due respect to Leland) in response to his letter to the editor titled “Not the time to teach housekeepers English.”

While I must admit that I am not knowledgeable enough as to where the housekeeping department gets its budget for the interpreters, teachers and all the other expenses associated with the ESL classes, I just want to get Leland’s attention on some matters.

Leland mentioned in his letter that it is not right for these housekeepers to be in ESL classes during work hours as they are paid to do their jobs.

I would just like to point out that the University also offers GED classes, among others, not just for housekeepers but for all interested employees. And like the ESL classes, GED classes, for example, are also done during work hours.

Not everybody knows, but these housekeepers work hard to get their job done before they go to class. More so, they try to make up for whatever work they missed (if there is any) the following day.

As for free time, most of these employees have children to take care of after work — with a husband that works a second or third shift — or have a second job to go to after their shift at UNC is over.

Perhaps this is the only free time they have? Perhaps nobody would also like to volunteer their time and teach for free?

I think it would also be important to note that these housekeepers are taxpayers themselves.

As an immigrant myself, I know that it is not the duty of any country or institution to teach me how to speak English. But I cannot speak for others as their situation and culture is different than mine.

It is also important to note that these non-English speaking individuals are some of the most hardworking people here on campus.

I am not in any of the ESL classes nor do I need any interpreters, but I had the urge to speak for them because I know and work with them.

Charina Brooks
Housekeeper
Old Campus Upper Quad