CORRECTION: An earlier version of this letter attributed the author to Kathy Bryant. The letter was submitted by Brenda Richardson Malone, Vice Chancellor of Human Resources. The letter was has been changed to reflect this.

I write to provide clarification around statements attributed to me in the Oct. 22 story, “New software will change human resources.”

The implementation of the new PeopleSoft HR/payroll system is a complex undertaking, and unfortunately, one of my comments was misunderstood and thus reported without appropriate context.

Specifically, when addressing the impact of the PeopleSoft implementation on our campus Human Resources Facilitators, the DTH quoted me as saying, “It will be negligible; they won’t even notice.”

That quote, taken out of context, suggests that the impact of this important initiative on both our HR facilitators, and the University as a whole, is minimal.

My comments were never intended to trivialize the impact of this system implementation or minimize what it means to our HR facilitators. On the contrary, the Office of Human Resources recognizes that this new system represents a significant change that directly affects the entire campus HR community.

The PeopleSoft HR/payroll system implementation presents a singular opportunity to improve HR service delivery at UNC. We recognize that this change will have an impact on the current HR facilitators, but the specific impact on individuals will not be determined until campus units complete the planning process.

In fact, we expect that many of our facilitators will learn new skills as we transition to the use of more sophisticated human resources tools, and some will transition to support other important unit responsibilities.

Change is never easy in an organization as large and complex as UNC, but I am confident that this plan will lead to improved HR service delivery to all UNC employees.

Brenda Richardson Malone
Vice Chancellor for Human Resources