Union leader wants to leave her mark

Carly Mathews, a junior economics major and biology minor, is the newly elected Union President with the CUAB.

The Carolina Union is not just the building on campus that is home to Alpine Bagel Cafe and Wendy’s.

At least that’s what the organization’s new president wants people to know.

On Sunday, the Carolina Union chose junior Carly Mathews as its new president, who, starting in May, will be tasked with the responsibility of planning and organizing events on campus.

“This is where you come to start an organization and where you come to grow an organization,” she said.

Mathews is currently chairwoman of the fun committee of the Carolina Union Activities Board, which plans lighthearted events on campus, such as a gingerbread house decorating contest last semester.

“I wanted to take my involvement a little further since I’m a junior,” she said.

As president, Mathews said she wants to implement two distinct goals — spread the name of the Union across campus and also maintain its traditions.

“I wanted to leave my heelprint on the University,” she said.

“I feel like I’ve found my place on campus and wanted to expand on it.”

She became involved with the Carolina Union last year when she joined the fun committee.

Heather Robertson, the Residence Hall Association president, serves on the Carolina Union Board of Directors. As part of the selection process, the board reviewed all the applications then interviewed the candidates. Only four candidates applied, she said.

Robertson said Mathews is highly qualified for the position.

“(Mathews) knows the bylaws, she knows what’s going on,” she said.

“She’ll be a great president, and I’m really excited to have her.”

Speaker of Student Congress Paige Comparato, who is also on the board, said she was impressed by Mathews as a committee chairwoman.

“She planned events before,” Comparato said. “She had a good knowledge of the specifics and logistics of events.”

The Union president oversees all CUAB committees and has the power to create and abolish committees and oversees the professionalism of the Union, Robertson said.

Current Union President Tom Low said in an email that the Union president serves as president of CUAB as well as the chairman of the Union Board of Directors, which focuses on finances, long-range planning and space allocation of the Union.

Mathews said her primary task will be planning and organizing events on campus and collaborating with the Office of Events Management.

She will also work to make a smooth transition for the Union, as the search continues to replace former director Don Luse, who retired in November graph from bottom – retired in November – http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2012/11/don-luse-profile after spending 20 years at the University.

“I’d like to continue the traditions of the Union even with all of the new renovations and with the new director,” Mathews said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.