Young Nudy headlines UNC's 2023 Jubilee festival

20230422 - YOUNG NUDY @ UNC JUBILEE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2023

Rapper Young Nudy, the headliner of this year's Jubilee Music Festival, performs at Hooker Fields on Saturday, April 22, 2023.

Hundreds of students and community members spent their Saturday at Hooker Fields experiencing a favorite UNC tradition — the spring Jubilee concert sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board.

CUAB began planning the Jubilee concert during the fall semester by holding a community vote asking which genre people would enjoy seeing at Hooker Fields in the spring. However, it was not until January that the organization began developing the fine print, CUAB’s entertainment chairperson Gaby Rosado said.

For $5, students had access to food truck vouchers, a variety of mini-games and a ticket to an anticipated setlist from local artists Barbara Teresa, Jack Taylor and Don Moonie, ending with headlining Atlanta rapper Young Nudy.

Moonie, a UNC junior whose stage name is Don Atlas, was among the first musicians to perform at this year's Jubilee event. While he values his audience’s taste, he also prioritizes what is authentic to himself as a rapper.

“I feel like the ears of one are like the ears of a thousand,” he said. “The only difference is the amount of opinions or the amount of interpretations, but it’s the same message that’s being portrayed.”

Various photographers and content creators were granted access to capture moments from the concert. 

First-year Kyran Taylor was one of the few students given photography access to the event as a member of clothing brand Franklin Street Market.

“Things like this, especially during freshman year of college, are things you will look back on when you’re older,” he said. “And being the person that gets to capture that moment in a single frame is really inspiring to me.”

Hundreds of eager attendees stood under umbrellas around Hooker Fields awaiting Young Nudy’s arrival. 

First-year Christopher Pickett was one of many who participated in the entire event starting at 11:30 a.m., even waiting through the rain.

“You know, it’s Jubilee," he said. "Young Nudy is coming. I get a bunch of free stuff, and having never been here before, I could not be more excited for what’s to come. Despite the terrible weather, CUAB has thankfully managed to keep the event together the best they can.”

With the unforeseen weather, several set changes were enforced, including the cancellation of student-led band CSB’s set.

“I received an email saying that the forecast was looking like 90 percent chance of thunderstorms throughout the day, and to expect some type of disruption, but still arrive on time and plan the way we planned,” UNC senior Casey Kibe, the lead singer of CSB, said.

Unable to perform at their scheduled time, CSB tried to negotiate with event executives to perform after Young Nudy concluded his set around 9 p.m., Kibe said. However, due to the highly restrictive contract rules and regulations, CSB’s entire set was cut from the show.

“We have a couple more shows coming up, so it’s not the end of the world,” she said. “But it did suck to have an entire article about Jubilee written with us, and to have been interviewed for it and then it not pan out.” 

Young Nudy took the stage at 7:30 p.m., performing some of his hit songs like “EA” and “Hell Shell”.

Rolo Vera, a first-year student at Central Piedmont Community College who attended the event, said he was satisfied with his experience at the concert.

Nudy made efforts to interact with his lively crowd throughout the performance by taking videos on concertgoers' phones or even catching and wearing their hats.

“I rounded up my friends and we came to see Nudy,” Vera said. “Nudy definitely gave me an experience. I threw my hat that I got from my country, and he definitely wore it proudly."

@coreymdavis04